Current and Parallel Impedance

In summary: It could also be a typo or a different convention being used. It's always good to double check your work and see if you can find any errors or discrepancies.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find ##i(t)## in the following circuit:

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 12.46.32 PM.png

Homework Equations

##Z = \frac{V}{I} \Rightarrow I = \frac{V}{Z}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved this, but I'm wondering why my answer is different than the book's answer. The book lists the answer as ##i(t) = 3.88 cos(377t - 39.2^o) \space A##.

Writing the given voltage as a phasor: ##v(t) = 120 \angle 60^o \space V##.

Calculating the impedances of each component:

##Z_R = 20 \Omega##
##Z_L = j \omega L = (377)(40 \times 10^{-3})j = (15.08j) \Omega##
##Z_C = - \frac{j}{\omega C} = - \frac{j}{(377)(50 \times 10^{-6})} = -(53.05j) \Omega##

Calculating the required equivalent impedances:

##Z_{eq_1} = Z_R + Z_L = (20 + 15.08j) \Omega##

##Z_{eq_2} = (\frac{1}{Z_C} + \frac{1}{Z_{eq_1}})^{-1} = (- \frac{1}{53.05 j} + \frac{1}{20 + 15.08j})^{-1} = (30.56 + 4.97j) = 30.96 \angle 9.24^o \space \Omega##

Finding the current phasor:

##I = \frac{V}{Z} = \frac{120 \angle 60^o}{30.96 \angle 9.24^o} = 3.88 \angle 50.8^o \space A##

##i(t) = 3.88 cos(377t + 50.8^o) \space A##

My answer differs from the books answer by exactly ##90^o## (50.8 + 39.2 = 90). Why is this? Have I done something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and answer look good to me.

gneill said:
Your method and answer look good to me.

That's good to know. Although I'm a little perplexed as to why my answer differs by an angle of ##\frac{\pi}{2}##.

Text books have been known to have incorrect solutions on occasion.

Your solution is correct. The difference in phase angle between your solution and the book's solution is due to the fact that the book has used a different reference for the phase angle. In your solution, you have used the voltage phasor (120∠60°) as the reference for the phase angle. However, the book has used the current phasor (3.88∠50.8°) as the reference for the phase angle. This results in a difference of 90° in the phase angle between the two solutions. Both solutions are correct, they just have different reference points for the phase angle.

Related to Current and Parallel Impedance

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

2. What is current impedance?

Current impedance is the total opposition to the flow of current in a circuit, including both resistance and reactance. It is represented by the symbol ZC and is also measured in ohms.

3. What is parallel impedance?

Parallel impedance is the total impedance of a circuit when resistors or components are connected in parallel. It is calculated using the formula 1/Ztotal = 1/Z1 + 1/Z2 + ... + 1/Zn, where Zn is the impedance of each component.

4. What is the difference between current and parallel impedance?

The main difference between current and parallel impedance is that current impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance, while parallel impedance only takes into account resistance. Current impedance is used to calculate the total opposition to the flow of current in a circuit, while parallel impedance is used to calculate the total impedance of a circuit with components connected in parallel.

5. Why is understanding current and parallel impedance important?

Understanding current and parallel impedance is important in analyzing and designing electrical circuits. It allows engineers and scientists to calculate the total impedance of a circuit and determine the optimal combination of components to achieve desired levels of current flow. It also helps in troubleshooting and identifying potential issues in a circuit.