Current and resistance in series and parallel circuits

In summary, the order of brightness for each bulb (while the switch is open) assuming equal resistance is A=C=D=F > B=E. This is because A, C, D, and F are all in simple series circuits, while B and E are in a series and parallel circuit. However, once the switch is closed, the order of brightness may change.
RelativeJosef

Homework Statement

List the order of brightness of each bulb (while the switch is open) assuming the bulbs are all of the same resistance.
image00654b9b5a1.jpg

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: Change in voltage = current divided by resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that bulbs A,C,D,F are all equal in brightness because they are both simple series circuits (while the switch is open). I know that B and E are also equal in brightness as they are a series circuit.

My difficulty begins in that the B and E bulb are in a series and also a parallel circuit. Does this make these two bulbs brighter than bulbs A,C,D,F or dimmer?

Any help with some sort of reference would be very helpful.

(this is for my Physics Lab homework)

Physics news on Phys.org
RelativeJosef said:

Homework Statement

List the order of brightness of each bulb (while the switch is open) assuming the bulbs are all of the same resistance.
View attachment 88110

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: Change in voltage = current divided by resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that bulbs A,C,D,F are all equal in brightness because they are both simple series circuits (while the switch is open). I know that B and E are also equal in brightness as they are a series circuit.

My difficulty begins in that the B and E bulb are in a series and also a parallel circuit. Does this make these two bulbs brighter than bulbs A,C,D,F or dimmer?

Any help with some sort of reference would be very helpful.

(this is for my Physics Lab homework)

There are three strings of two series bulbs connected in parallel across the battery, so you are correct (until the switch is closed). Don't let the drawing fool you with a little extra wire length leading to the B-E bulbs. Each of the three strings of two series bulbs is connected the same way across the battery. :smile:

Likes RelativeJosef and Hamza Abbasi
Redraw the circuit with all bulbs on the same side of the battery and all series pairs in vertical legs.

Likes RelativeJosef, Hamza Abbasi and berkeman
berkeman said:
There are three strings of two series bulbs connected in parallel across the battery, so you are correct (until the switch is closed). Don't let the drawing fool you with a little extra wire length leading to the B-E bulbs. Each of the three strings of two series bulbs is connected the same way across the battery. :smile:

Ah! Thank you for your help, your answer was correct (I double checked using a program at our physics lab). :smile:

1. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, so the current flowing through each component is the same. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected to the same two points, but in separate branches, so the current is divided between them.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This can be calculated using the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

3. What happens to the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the resistance of any individual component. This is because the current is divided between the branches, reducing the overall resistance.

4. How does current behave in a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the current is the same at all points, as it is the only path for the flow of electricity. In a parallel circuit, the current is divided between the branches, with the total current equal to the sum of the currents in each branch.

5. Why is it important to understand current and resistance in circuits?

Understanding current and resistance in circuits is important for designing and troubleshooting electronic systems. It allows us to predict how components will behave and ensure that circuits are functioning properly. It also helps us to conserve energy and prevent damage to components by ensuring that the correct amount of current is flowing.