Current drawn by a motor operating at half speed

In summary, the conversation discusses how to complete a question regarding a motor's operation at different speeds. The summary includes the completed parts a and b, which involve calculating the resistance of the armature and the back emf at normal speed. The conversation then turns to finding the current at half the normal speed and how to approach the problem. The summary concludes with a suggestion to consider the effect of voltage and load on the motor's speed in order to find a solution.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm unsure of how to complete the final part of this question;

Homework Statement

A motor is designed to operate at 118V and draws a current of 12A when it first starts up. At it's normal operating speed, the motor draws a current of 2A. Compute:

a) the resistance of the armature of the coil.

b) the back emf developed at normal speed.

c) the current drawn by the motor at half the normal speed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have completed parts a and b.

a) [itex]V = IR[/itex]

[itex]R = \frac{V}{I} = \frac{118}{12} = 9.83 \Omega[/itex]

b) [itex]2A[/itex] flow through the armature with resistance [itex]9.83 \Omega[/itex].

[itex]V = IR = 19.66V[/itex]

Supply voltage = back emf + voltage across armature

back emf = 118 - 19.66 = 98.34V

But how do I figure out c?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps start by working out the back emf at half the normal speed?

CWatters said:
Perhaps start by working out the back emf at half the normal speed?

I can't find any material in my textbook that deals with the relationship speed has with other known quantities.

Do you know of any places I should look?

BOAS said:
I can't find any material in my textbook that deals with the relationship speed has with other known quantities.

Do you know of any places I should look?

Bump, I still haven't found anything.

If the load stays constant, then decreasing the voltage will decrease the current in the armature and hence the speed of the motor, but I don't know how to quantify these ideas.

Isn't it important to know why it's at half normal speed? I.e. is it because the applied voltage has been lowered or because the load has been increased?
If you knew which, I think you could use consideration of power to obtain an answer.

1. What is the relationship between motor speed and current drawn?

The current drawn by a motor is directly proportional to its speed. As the speed of the motor decreases, the current drawn also decreases.

2. Why does a motor draw less current at half speed?

At half speed, the motor is rotating at a slower rate which means it requires less energy to maintain its rotation. This results in the motor drawing less current.

3. Can the current drawn by a motor be controlled?

Yes, the current drawn by a motor can be controlled by adjusting the motor's speed or by using a motor controller that regulates the amount of current flowing to the motor.

4. What factors can affect the current drawn by a motor at half speed?

The current drawn by a motor at half speed can be affected by the load on the motor, the efficiency of the motor, and the type of motor control used.

5. How does the current drawn at half speed compare to the full speed current?

The current drawn at half speed is typically half of the full speed current. However, this can vary depending on the specific motor and its operating conditions.