Current flow model through a resistance field

In summary, the conversation centers around finding the theory and methods to calculate current density at different points on a 2D rectangle with varying resistance and a known voltage drop. The suggested approach is to use a localized form of Ohm's law, with resistivity and current density being the local equivalents of resistance and current. The problem can be solved using Laplace's equation or a generalized version, and numerical methods may be needed for non-symmetric cases. The Van der Pauw technique may also be helpful in this situation.
akyriazis
Hey everyone.

I thought about this problem the other day, but I don't know what theory I need to solve this problem.

Given a 2D rectangle with a known, varying resistance, and a known voltage drop across the length, how would one calculate the current density at each point on the surface. By intuition, the current should in general go in the direction of least resistance, but I also think there is probably a mechanism to prevent current from all flowing through the same place. Is this the right thinking?

I also would like to be able to numerically calculate this, but how to do this will be much clearer when I have an idea of the theory.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Akyriazis, :welcome:

The theory you need is a kind of localized form of Ohm's law. Resistance is an over-all property of a piece of material. And current through your rectangle an over-all result.
Resistivity and current density are the local equivalents. The first is a scalar ( a number, depending on position ) and the second is a vector (with a magnitude and components - in your case x- and y components).
Check out the link and see if you can write down the differential equations and the boundary conditions for your case.

If the resistivity is constant, the problem is equivalent to solving Laplace's equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions. If it isn't constant, you have an equation that looks like this:
##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{J} = 0##
##\mathbf{J} = \sigma \nabla{V}##
##\nabla{\sigma} \cdot \nabla{V} + \sigma \nabla^2 V = 0##
##\sigma## is the reciprocal of the resistivity.
This is a generalized Laplace equation. It reduces to Laplace's equation for ##\nabla{\sigma}=0##
Unless you can exploit some kind of symmetry, you'll probably need numerical methods to solve this.

It might help you to look at Van der Pauw technique for calculating resistivity for arbitrary shapes.

1. What is the current flow model through a resistance field?

The current flow model through a resistance field is a mathematical model that describes the flow of electric current through a material that resists the flow of electricity. It is based on Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a material is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the material.

2. How does resistance affect current flow?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material impedes the flow of electricity. The higher the resistance, the more difficult it is for current to flow through the material. This means that as resistance increases, the current flow decreases according to Ohm's Law.

3. What factors can affect the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material is affected by several factors, including the type of material, its dimensions, and its temperature. For example, materials with high resistivity, such as rubber or glass, have a higher resistance compared to materials with low resistivity, such as copper or silver.

4. How does the current flow model through a resistance field apply to real-life situations?

The current flow model through a resistance field is applicable in various real-life situations, such as in electrical circuits, electronic devices, and power transmission systems. It helps engineers and scientists to understand and predict the behavior of electric currents in these systems, allowing them to design and optimize them for efficient performance.

5. How can the current flow model through a resistance field be used to calculate the current in a circuit?

To calculate the current in a circuit using the current flow model through a resistance field, you need to know the voltage applied to the circuit and the total resistance of the circuit. You can then use Ohm's Law (I=V/R) to find the current. This calculation is essential in determining the appropriate size and type of components to use in a circuit to achieve a desired current flow.