Current flow on the surface of a permeability bigger than 1

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spherical perfect conductor and a spherical shell made of a material with high magnetic permeability. The solution presented uses the fact that there is no surface current on the shell as one of the boundary conditions. The question is raised as to why there is no surface current on this type of material and if it can be definitively classified as a perfect conductor. The person asking the question also questions if their thinking is correct in this matter.
gau55
Hi,
Quick description of the problem at hand: spherical perfect conductor around the origin with radius a, spherical shell (with radius b) around it made of a material with given magnetic permeability bigger than 1. Uniform Magnetic field in the area. The solution I am looking at (which I won't post as it isn't in english) uses the fact that the surface current on r=b, that is on the surface of the shell with permeability bigger than 1, is zero, as one of the boundary conditions for the solution. My question is why can we assume this ? why can there be no surface current on a material such as this ? Can we conclude definitively that it is not a perfect conductor ? if so we can say it either has finite conductivity or no conductivity, in both cases there can't be any surface current, but I couldn't justify the claim that this material is definitely not a perfect conductor. Am I even thinking in the right direction ?
thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should there be any current in a static problem?

1. What is permeability and how does it affect current flow on the surface?

Permeability refers to the ability of a material to allow fluids or particles to pass through it. In terms of current flow, a material with a higher permeability (greater than 1) allows for easier movement of electrons on its surface, resulting in increased current flow.

2. How does the size of permeability impact current flow on the surface?

The size of permeability directly affects the ease of current flow on a surface. A larger permeability value indicates a material with more open spaces or pathways for electrons to move, resulting in increased current flow.

3. What factors influence the permeability of a material?

The permeability of a material is influenced by various factors such as its composition, structure, and physical properties. For example, materials with a high concentration of pores or voids tend to have higher permeability values.

4. Can current flow on the surface of a material with permeability greater than 1 be controlled?

Yes, current flow on the surface of a material with permeability greater than 1 can be controlled by adjusting the external factors such as voltage, temperature, and pressure. These factors can affect the movement of electrons and therefore, the overall current flow on the surface.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding current flow on the surface of materials with high permeability?

Understanding current flow on the surface of materials with high permeability is important in many fields, including electrical engineering, geology, and hydrology. It can help in designing more efficient electrical circuits, predicting groundwater flow patterns, and developing better filtration systems.