Power Loss Due to An Eddy Current

In summary: Finally, In summary, the power loss due to eddy current can be calculated using the formula P = (π^2 * f^2 * B_max^2 * τ^2 * h * L) / (6 * ρ) where τ represents the thickness of the laminated sheet and the integration bounds are from 0 to τ/2.
BlackMelon
TL;DR Summary
Finding power loss due to eddy current
Reference website: https://www.electricalvolt.com/2019/08/eddy-current-loss-formula/?expand_article=1
Hi there!

Recently, I am studying this kind of power loss from the following link:
https://www.electricalvolt.com/2019/08/eddy-current-loss-formula/?expand_article=1
Just to summarize an idea,
1690045667855.png

Supposed that we got a material, which is penetrated by a magnetic flux. The material will generate the eddy current to oppose the change of the flux.
We divide this material into portions.
We treat each of the portion as a one-turn coil, having I_eddy flowing through.
Use the Faraday's Law to find the induced voltage (E) in each portion.
Use R = rho*(length)/(area) to find the resistance of each portion (that I_eddy flows through)
The power loss of each portion is dP = E^2/R
Integrate dP over all the portions to get "P: The power loss due to eddy current."
1690043122977.png

From this equation in the link, I am curious why the bounds of the integration is 0 to T/2. Should it be -T/2 to +T/2 instead?
(Please look at the diagram in the aformentioned link)

Best Regards,
BlackMelon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is hard to read as posted, although not impossible. I don't see any "T", or, "τ", which is what I think you meant. Don't make it hard for people to help you, they may just give up and move on. Please communicate clearly, we are not clairvoyant.

Hi All,
I'm sorry for the my unclear drawing. Please download it from here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tftzo99pddsvzhj/EddyCurrentLoss.png/file

According to the diagram in this link:
https://www.electricalvolt.com/2019/08/eddy-current-loss-formula/?expand_article=1
T and τ are the same. It is said "Let the length, height and thickness of the laminated sheet is L,h and𝞃 respectively". However on the diagram, the thickness is represented by T, instead of 𝞃. The dotted line represents the reference position, where x = 0.

The interval of the integration is ## [0, \frac \tau 2] ## because the interval ## [-\frac \tau 2, 0] ## is already included into the integration through the formula for the area which is ## A = 2 h x = 2 \cdot h x ## and through the formula for the resistance which is ## R = \rho \cdot \frac {2 h + 4 x} {L dx} = 2 \cdot \rho \cdot \frac {h + 2 x} {L dx} ##.

If the interval of the integration is ## [-\frac \tau 2, \frac \tau 2] ## the formula for the area will be ## A = h x ## , the formula for the resistance will be ## R = \rho \cdot \frac {h + 2 x} {L dx} ##

and there will be next:

## \Phi (t) = B (t) \cdot A = B_{max} \cdot \sin (\omega t) \cdot h x ##

## E = \frac {\sqrt 2} {2} \cdot B_{max} \cdot 2 \pi f \cdot h x ##
## E = \sqrt 2 \cdot B_{max} \cdot \pi f \cdot h x ##

## dP = \frac {E^2} {R} ##
## dP = E^2 \cdot \frac {L dx} {\rho \cdot (h + 2 x)} ##
## dP = E^2 \cdot \frac {L dx} {\rho \cdot h} ##
## dP = (\sqrt 2 \cdot B_{max} \cdot \pi f \cdot h x)^2 \cdot \frac {L dx} {\rho \cdot h} ##
## dP = 2 \cdot B_{max}^2 \cdot \pi^2 f^2 \cdot h^2 x^2 \cdot \frac {L dx} {\rho \cdot h} ##
## dP = 2 \cdot B_{max}^2 \cdot \pi^2 f^2 \cdot h x^2 \cdot \frac {L dx} {\rho} ##

## P_{eddy} = \frac {2 \pi^2 \cdot B_{max}^2 \cdot f^2 \cdot h L} {\rho} \cdot \int_{-\frac \tau 2}^{\frac \tau 2} x^2 \, dx ##
## P_{eddy} = \frac{2 \pi^2 \cdot B_{max}^2 \cdot f^2 \cdot h L} {\rho} \cdot (\int_{-\frac \tau 2}^{0} x^2 \, dx + \int_{0}^{\frac \tau 2} x^2 \, dx) ##
## \int_{-\frac \tau 2}^{0} x^2 \, dx = \int_{0}^{\frac \tau 2} x^2 \, dx ##
## P_{eddy} = \frac{2 \pi^2 \cdot B_{max}^2 \cdot f^2 \cdot h L} {\rho} \cdot (\int_{0}^{\frac \tau 2} x^2 \, dx + \int_{0}^{\frac \tau 2} x^2 \, dx) ##
## P_{eddy} = \frac{2 \pi^2 \cdot B_{max}^2 \cdot f^2 \cdot h L} {\rho} \cdot 2 \int_{0}^{\frac \tau 2} x^2 \, dx ##
## P_{eddy} = \frac {4 \pi^2 \cdot B_{max}^2 \cdot f^2 \cdot h L} {\rho} \cdot \int_{0}^{\frac \tau 2} x^2 \, dx ##
## P_{eddy} = \frac{\pi^2 \cdot f^2 \cdot B_{max}^2 \tau^2 } {6 \rho}\cdot (h L \tau) ##

What is an eddy current?

An eddy current is a circular electric current that is induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How does an eddy current cause power loss?

As the eddy current flows through the conductor, it creates resistance and produces heat. This heat energy is a form of power loss in the system.

What factors affect the amount of power loss due to an eddy current?

The amount of power loss due to an eddy current is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the conductivity of the conductor, and the frequency of the changing magnetic field.

How can power loss due to eddy currents be reduced?

Power loss due to eddy currents can be reduced by using materials with low electrical conductivity, laminating or layering the conductor, and using magnetic shielding to reduce the strength of the magnetic field.

What are some practical applications of eddy currents?

Eddy currents are used in various technologies such as induction heating, electromagnetic braking, and metal detection. They are also utilized in non-destructive testing to detect defects in materials without causing damage.