Current in a hollowed nichrome wire

In summary, a hollow nichrome tube with specific dimensions is connected to a 2.50 V battery and the problem asks for the current in the tube. The equations used are V=IR and R=p*(L/A), where p is the resistivity of nichrome, L is the length of the wire, and A is the surface area of the cross section. The attempt at a solution involved calculating the resistance using the given dimensions and using V/R to find the current. However, there may have been some errors in the calculations.
Minhtran1092

Homework Statement

A 10.0 cm long hollow nichrome tube of inner diameter 2.20 mm , outer diameter 5.10 mm is connected to a 2.50 V battery. What is the current in the tube?

Homework Equations

V=IR
R = p*(L/A);p = resistivity of nichrome (1.5E-6), L = length of wire, A = Surface area of cross section

The Attempt at a Solution

V = I*R → V/R = I; V = 2.5V
R = p*(.1cm)/(π([5.1/2]/1000))2)-π((1.1/1000)2))

I = 2.5/R; Isn't correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me, you must have done some calculations wrong... If you used wolframalpha or similar, your brackets are wrong so that might have messed it up...

I got R=0.00902 ohms, I=277 A

1. What is the definition of current in a hollowed nichrome wire?

Current in a hollowed nichrome wire refers to the flow of electric charge through the wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of electrons in response to an applied electric field.

2. How is current affected by the diameter of the hollowed nichrome wire?

The current in a hollowed nichrome wire is directly proportional to the diameter of the wire. This means that a larger diameter wire will have a higher current compared to a smaller diameter wire, assuming all other factors remain constant.

3. What factors can affect the current in a hollowed nichrome wire?

The current in a hollowed nichrome wire can be affected by several factors, including the voltage applied to the wire, the resistance of the wire, and the temperature of the wire. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the current.

4. How does the length of the hollowed nichrome wire impact the current?

The current in a hollowed nichrome wire is inversely proportional to the length of the wire. This means that a longer wire will have a lower current compared to a shorter wire, assuming all other factors remain constant.

5. Can the current in a hollowed nichrome wire be controlled?

Yes, the current in a hollowed nichrome wire can be controlled by adjusting the voltage applied to the wire or by changing the resistance of the wire. The use of different materials for the wire or changing the wire's diameter or length can also impact the current.