Current in inductor used to measure EMF.

In summary: If i is decreasing in magnitude, so is emf.In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effect of reversing the direction of current in an inductor on the measured emf (electromotive force) according to Faraday's law. The participants consider the relationship between flux, current, and self-inductance, and conclude that the direction and magnitude of the emf would change depending on the direction and rate of change of the current.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

This is not a formal HW question, yet I was wondering whether one of you might be willing to answer it nevertheless.
According to Fraday's law, ε = -∂[itex]\phi[/itex]/∂t. If I reversed the direction of the current in an inductor used to measure ε, would that have any effect on ε?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think it wouldn't, but am not certain. Wouldn't the flux remain the same once the current is reversed? Or, rather, the rate of change of flux?

Physics news on Phys.org
Flux even it is a scalar, did some direction is associated with it (at a point)?

No, but could the rate of change of that scalar once the current is reversed change?

peripatein said:
Wouldn't the flux remain the same once the current is reversed? Or, rather, the rate of change of flux?
Relate the flux linking the turns of the inductor, ϕ, to the current through it, i, by:
ϕ = L*i

where L is the self-inductance of the inductor and is considered a constant.

You would have to calculate the surface integral that gives you ϕ such that it has the same sign as i for some choice of reference direction of i. You have then:

ε = -dϕ/dt = -L di/dt

As an example, if the current i was increasing with time, -i would be decreasing, e.g. the sign of di/dt and ε would flip.

peripatein said:
Hi,

Homework Statement

This is not a formal HW question, yet I was wondering whether one of you might be willing to answer it nevertheless.
According to Fraday's law, ε = -∂[itex]\phi[/itex]/∂t. If I reversed the direction of the current in an inductor used to measure ε, would that have any effect on ε?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think it wouldn't, but am not certain. Wouldn't the flux remain the same once the current is reversed? Or, rather, the rate of change of flux?

emf = L di/dt. So if i is increasing and positive, emf is positive.

If i is negative and increasing (in magnitude), di/dt is negative and so is emf.

Related to Current in inductor used to measure EMF.

What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coil of wire and is used in many electronic circuits.

How does an inductor measure EMF?

An inductor can measure EMF (electromotive force) by creating a magnetic field and measuring the change in current flow as the field expands and collapses. This change in current can then be used to calculate the amount of EMF present.

How is current used to measure EMF?

In an inductor, the amount of current passing through the coil is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field it creates. By measuring this current, the amount of EMF present can be determined.

What are the advantages of using an inductor to measure EMF?

Inductors are very accurate and reliable in measuring EMF. They are also relatively inexpensive and can be easily integrated into electronic circuits.

Are there any limitations to using an inductor to measure EMF?

Inductors have a limited frequency range in which they can accurately measure EMF. They are also sensitive to external magnetic fields, which can affect their accuracy. Additionally, inductors may have a limited range of measurement and may not be suitable for extremely high or low levels of EMF.