Current in magnetized materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using materials such as copper, chromium, nickel, and bismuth to create current or voltage when exposed to a magnetic field or when moved in proximity to each other. The response states that this method only works with ferromagnetic materials and requires heating the material above its Curie temperature, not its melting point. It also clarifies that a non-magnetized piece of iron will not produce current when moved near a circuit.
iG3
I will qualify my questions /comments with the fact that I am not a materials science , chemistry, atomic physics, or electrochemical, engineer or scientist. that being said, I am thinking from atomic and material domain perspective that a material such as copper, chromium, nickel, bismuth . . . can they be superheated (just heated) to their phase changing point while exposed in an intense magnetic field then cooled. Will they (or some other materials) be pre disposed to create or at least more easily create current or voltage when a magnetic field is moved in proximity . . . or the materials are moved in proximity to each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, sort of.

Such materials are called magnets, and there are some motor/generators that use permanent magnets rather than (actually in addition to) electromagnets.

I don't think that's the cheapest/best way to make a magnet, but I think it works sort of.

You cannot magnetize copper or bismuth this way. It only works with ferromagnetic materials.
You need to heat it above Curie temperature not the melting point. I am not sure what phase transition you mean in the OP.
And what kind of current generation. A non-magnetized piece of iron will not produce any current when move in the proximity of a circuit.

Related to Current in magnetized materials

1. What is current in magnetized materials?

Current in magnetized materials refers to the flow of electric charge within a material that has been magnetized. This can occur when an external magnetic field is applied to the material or when the material is heated above its Curie temperature, causing its magnetic properties to change.

2. How is current affected by magnetization?

When a material is magnetized, its atoms become aligned in a specific direction, creating a magnetic field. This alignment affects the behavior of electric charges within the material, causing them to flow in a particular way, which is known as current.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of current in magnetized materials?

The magnitude of current in magnetized materials is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the external magnetic field, the type of material, and its temperature. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the material can also impact the magnitude of current.

4. What are some applications of current in magnetized materials?

Current in magnetized materials has many practical applications, such as in generators, motors, and transformers. It is also essential in various electronic devices, including hard drives, speakers, and magnetic sensors.

5. How is current in magnetized materials related to magnetism?

Magnetism and current in magnetized materials are closely related because the flow of electric charge within a material is responsible for the creation of a magnetic field. This magnetic field, in turn, can influence the behavior of electric charges, causing them to flow in a specific direction and creating current.