Cusps in the evolution of closed strings

Can you help me with that?In summary, problem 7.7 in Zwiebach's book, 2nd edition, asks for the period of the motion of a closed string near a cusp and for the number of cusps formed during a period. In part (b), the equation for the string's motion is given, and by considering the behavior of the y and x coordinates near the cusp, it can be shown that ##y\sim x^{2/3}##. In part (d), the period of the motion is found to be ##\sigma_1/4c## and the string is observed to have two periodic components with periods ##\sigma_1/c## and ##\sigma_
rbwang1225

Homework Statement

This is problem 7.7 in Zwiebach's book, 2ed ed.
In (b) he want us to show that near the cusp, ##y\sim x^{2/3}.##
In (d), Check that the period of the motion of the closed string is ##\sigma_1/4c##. How many cusps are formed during a period?

Homework Equations

(b) ##\overrightarrow X(t_0,\sigma) = \overrightarrow X_0+\frac{1}{2}(\sigma-\sigma_0)^2\overrightarrow T+\frac{1}{3!}(\sigma-\sigma_0)^3\overrightarrow R
\\=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma-\sigma_0)^2 T\hat y+\frac{1}{3!}(\sigma-\sigma_0)^3 R(\cos\theta\hat x+\sin\theta \hat y)##, where ##|\overrightarrow T|=T \mbox{ and } |\overrightarrow R|=R##.
(d)##\overrightarrow X(t,\sigma)
=\frac{1}{2}[\overrightarrow F(u)+\overrightarrow G(v)]
=\frac{\sigma_1}{4\pi}(\sin \frac{2\pi u}{\sigma_1}+\frac{1}{2}\sin\frac{4\pi v}{\sigma_1},-\cos\frac{2\pi u}{\sigma_1},-\frac{1}{2}\cos\frac{4\pi u}{\sigma_1})
=\overrightarrow X(t+T,\sigma)##

The Attempt at a Solution

(b) ##y=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma-\sigma_0)^2[T+\frac{1}{3}(\sigma-\sigma_0)R\sin\theta]##
##x=\frac{1}{3!}(\sigma-\sigma_0)^3R\cos\theta##
But, I don't see very clearly why ##y\sim x^{2/3}##.
(d) I observe that ##\overrightarrow F(u) \mbox{ and } \overrightarrow G(v)## has periods ##\sigma_1/c \mbox{ and }\sigma_1/2c##, respectively. But I don't know why the period of ##\overrightarrow X## is smaller.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rbwang1225 said:
##y=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma-\sigma_0)[T+\frac{1}{3}(\sigma-\sigma_0)^2R\sin\theta]##
##x=\frac{1}{3!}R\cos\theta##
But, I don't see very clearly why ##y\sim x^{2/3}##.

These aren't quite correct. Try finding them again. Don't factor out any powers of ##\sigma-\sigma_0##.

Likes 1 person
George Jones said:
These aren't quite correct. Try finding them again. Don't factor out any powers of ##\sigma-\sigma_0##.
I corrected it.
Or, I still have something lost?
Thanks a lot!

It looks like you're still missing something in the expression for y.

Oh, sorry for the mistake!
Now, can I conclude that since ##y\sim (\sigma-\sigma_0)^2 \mbox{ and } x\sim (\sigma-\sigma_0)^3## so ##y\sim x^{2/3}##?
I think it's yes, because the factors, T, and x-component of R are just numbers, they don't affect the main feature of the line.
Thank you very much!

Roughly, yes.

Maybe better is to solve the ##x## equation for ##(\sigma-\sigma_0)##, and substitute this into the ##y## equation, so as to obtain ##y## as a function of ##x##. The expression for ##y## should contain two terms that involve ##x##. Argue that, near a cusp, one of these terms dominates.

OK, then I know how to get the answer.
But now I have a question in (d). I don't know how to derive the period of the function of the sum of 2 periodic functions. I thought it was the smaller one between the two, but it seems like something was missing.

1. What are cusps in the evolution of closed strings?

Cusps are points on a closed string where the direction of the string changes abruptly. They can occur when the string curves or bends in a particular way.

2. How do cusps form in the evolution of closed strings?

Cusps can form when there is a mismatch between the forces acting on different parts of the string, causing it to bend or curve in a certain direction.

3. Can cusps affect the behavior of closed strings?

Yes, cusps can significantly affect the behavior of closed strings. They can cause the string to vibrate or oscillate in a specific way, which can impact its interactions with other strings or particles.

4. Are cusps a common occurrence in the evolution of closed strings?

Yes, cusps are a common feature in the evolution of closed strings. They can occur in various scenarios, such as in string theory or in the study of cosmic strings.

5. How do scientists study and understand the role of cusps in the evolution of closed strings?

Scientists use mathematical and computational models to simulate the behavior of closed strings and understand the role of cusps. They also conduct experiments and observations to gather data and validate their theories.