Cutting force (large astronomical body)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of cutting a large astronomical body, such as a moon, in half using a blade made of the strongest material and moving at high speeds. However, it is determined that this is not possible due to the gravitational pull of the hemispheres and the potential for crushing instead of cutting. The purpose behind the question is also questioned, with no specific reason being given.
nicholas0211510
I know this is a weird topic but the thought has pestered me lately. How much energy would it take to cut a large astronomical body in half (assuming its a uniform sphere). Let's say a object the size of the moon with the same overall density of the moon.

Say the blade used to cut it is as hard as the strongest matiral known and its 1 mm thick moving at speeds needed to cut through it faster than the gravity can pull the other hemisphere back together (I don't know the exact speed needed) and what formula would associate with calculating this.

Sorry if isn't specific enough I my self am not sure how to explain my question any further, thank you in advanced :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't cut it fast enough that the hemispheres won't pull back together. You'd have to use a giant wedge that forced the hemispheres apart and that would cause as much crushing as cutting. Basically I don't think it can be done. Why do you need to know? What's the really issue?

Last edited:
Likes nicholas0211510
I really have no true reason, it just has been a burning question for some reason, and thank you for clarifying this :)

1. What is cutting force?

Cutting force is the amount of force required to cut or separate a material, such as a large astronomical body, into smaller pieces.

2. How is cutting force measured?

Cutting force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) using specialized equipment, such as force sensors or dynamometers.

3. What factors affect cutting force?

The main factors that affect cutting force on a large astronomical body include the material properties of the body, the type and sharpness of the cutting tool, and the speed and direction of the cut.

4. Why is cutting force important in studying large astronomical bodies?

The cutting force on a large astronomical body can provide valuable information about its physical properties, such as its composition, strength, and internal structure. This information can help scientists better understand the formation and evolution of these bodies.

5. How can cutting force be reduced?

One way to reduce cutting force on a large astronomical body is by using a sharper cutting tool, which requires less force to cut through the material. Another method is to decrease the speed of the cut, which reduces the amount of energy required to make the cut.