Cycle of an air conditioner and power consumed

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker questioning the power consumption of their 9,000 BTU air conditioning unit. They discuss the power factor and how to calculate the energy consumed per cycle. They also mention the BTU to kWh conversion and the relationship between BTU and the thermodynamic cycle. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the COP of the unit and the application of the first law of thermodynamics.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have an air condition that is 9.000 BTU and it states at the external unit that its Power is 1.2KW.

However because I know that an air condition has inductive loads (motors) its power factor is not 1 so I am not sure 1.2KW is the real power consumed.

I am thinking to calculate the power consumed via the number of 9.000BTU (I am not sure what this number is btw). I don't know a lot for Air Conditions. From Thermodynamics 1st law, for the cycle of the air condition it will be

$$Q=W$$

SO how can I calculate the Q per cycle (and thus the energy consumed per cycle) from the 9.000 BTU number.

Science news on Phys.org
Ok well I found a BTU to KWh convertor in the web, it turns out that 9000BTU=2.637KWh. If anyone can give any insight on what exactly are the BTU (dont tell me it is just a unit of energy, ok I can infer that, I want to know how it relates to the thermodynamic cycle, is it the amount of heat lost or absorbed by the fluid for example?)how exactly we convert between BTU and KWh is more than welcomed.

Last edited:
Google is your friend:

1624968000962.png

Wikipedia is your friend:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_thermal_unit

Many friends can be found in a span of a few minutes on the internet.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Delta2
Judging by what it is said at wikipedia BTU is for measuring heat not electrical energy.
Let me ask the question I have in the back of my head directly:
Can we say that an air condition that is 9000 BTU, consumes around 2.637KWh of electrical energy when it operates for 1hour?

Most likely that value of 1.2 KW means Volt-Amps.
Check for a value of MCA on the nameplate of the unit for the actual amps that the unit withdraws when all motors are normally running (not during start ups).
Multiply that value for the voltage the unit is rated for.
As the compressor cycles, the amps value cycles as well (down to what the blower and other motors use in ventilation mode).

The BTU value is an optimistic estimate of how much heat the unit can move in ideal conditions (between two temperatures).

1. KW almost always just means kW. (Adding reactive power makes it kVA).
2. Input power is input power.
3. Heat (cooling) output is output. Also, the rating point is generally a challenge condition, not an optimistic one. An optimistic rating point would be arbitrary and worthless.

There are no conversions or other calcs required here except units. So:
4. 9,000 btu/hr is indeed 2.6 kW.

Then you next question might be: how can you do 2.6 kW of cooling with only 1.2 kW of input? Since air conditioners don't create heat, they just move it, they can do that. It's called coefficient of performance. This unit has a COP of 2.2:1, which isn't very good...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes BvU and berkeman
Lnewqban said:
Check for a value of MCA on the nameplate of the unit for the actual amps that the unit withdraws when all motors are normally running (not during start ups).
Cant find MCA reading in the plate it just says 1.25KW 220V
russ_watters said:
how can you do 2.6 kW of cooling with only 1.2 kW of input? Since air conditioners don't create heat, they just move it, they can do that. It's called coefficient of performance. This unit has a COP of 2.2:1, which isn't very good...
The unit is old, bought and installed on September 2004 (brand Bauer, I am sure you never heard it before lol ). Indeed my next question would be that. Cant we invoke the first law of thermodynamics to prove that the cooling done equals the mechanical work done by the compressor?

Delta2 said:
Indeed my next question would be that. Cant we invoke the first law of thermodynamics to prove that the cooling done equals the mechanical work done by the compressor?
Right, so, yes you can, but it isn't easy without more info and compressor work doesn't equal heat transfer anyway. There's no heat transfer at the compressor per se, just that work input.

1. What is the cycle of an air conditioner?

The cycle of an air conditioner involves four main stages: compression, condensation, expansion, and evaporation. In the compression stage, the refrigerant is compressed into a high-pressure gas. Then, in the condensation stage, the refrigerant releases heat and condenses into a liquid. Next, the refrigerant expands in the expansion stage, causing it to cool down. Finally, in the evaporation stage, the refrigerant absorbs heat from the surrounding air and evaporates back into a gas, cooling the air in the process.

2. How does an air conditioner consume power?

An air conditioner consumes power in two main ways: through its compressor and its fan. The compressor uses electricity to compress the refrigerant and increase its temperature. The fan then uses electricity to circulate the cool air throughout the room. Some newer air conditioners also have additional features such as dehumidifiers and air purifiers, which also consume power.

3. What factors affect the power consumption of an air conditioner?

The power consumption of an air conditioner can be affected by several factors, including the size and efficiency of the unit, the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment, and the frequency and duration of use. Other factors such as the type of refrigerant and the age of the unit can also impact its power consumption.

4. How can I reduce the power consumption of my air conditioner?

There are several ways to reduce the power consumption of an air conditioner. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning or replacing air filters, can improve the efficiency of the unit. Using a programmable thermostat can also help to regulate the temperature and reduce the amount of time the air conditioner runs. Additionally, keeping the area around the air conditioner clear of obstructions can improve air flow and reduce the workload on the unit.

5. What is the average power consumption of an air conditioner?

The average power consumption of an air conditioner can vary greatly depending on the size, efficiency, and usage of the unit. However, a typical window unit air conditioner can consume anywhere from 500 to 1500 watts of power, while a central air conditioning system can use 3000 to 5000 watts. It is important to check the energy efficiency rating of an air conditioner before purchasing to get a better idea of its power consumption.