Cyclic Process for Ideal Gases

In summary, the conversation is discussing the solution for a thermodynamics problem involving a diatomic ideal gas in a closed cycle. The participants discuss the different processes involved in the cycle, including isovolumetric, adiabatic, and isobaric processes, and their corresponding equations. They also mention the difference in their approaches to using the first law of thermodynamics, with one using ΔU=Q-W and the other using ΔU=Q+W. The conversation ends with a request for a pV diagram and the mention of a possible sign error in the equation.
EnricoHendro
Homework Statement
A 4.00-L sample of a diatomic ideal gas with specific heat ratio 1.40, confined to a cylinder, is carried through a closed cycle. The gas is initially at 1.00 atm and 300 K. First, its pressure is tripled under constant volume. Then, it expands adiabatically to its original pressure. Finally, the gas is compressed isobarically to its original volume. (a) Determine the volume of the gas at the end of the adiabatic expansion. (b) Find the temperature of the gas at the start of the adiabatic expansion. (c) Find the temperature at the end of the cycle. (d) What was the net work done on the gas for this cycle?
Relevant Equations
PV=nRT
P(V^y) = Constant
Hello there, is my solution for part d logically correct? Here is my attempt at the solution :
Part a :
Eq1.gif

Eq1ev.gif

where : P1 = 3P2

Part b :
Since P1=3P2, therefore, T1=3T, where T=300K. Thus, T1=900K

Part c :
Because the final pressure at the end of the cycle is exactly the same as the pressure at the very beginning of the cycle and the volume at the end of the cycle is equal to the very beginning of the cycle, then, T3 = T = 300K, (with T3 = Temperature at the end of the cycle)

Part d :
Eq 3.gif

W1 = 0 (Because the first process is isovolumetric)
Eq 4.gif
(since the process is adiabatic, where Q=0)
Eq 5.gif
(isobaric process)
since :
n is constant assuming no leak and no additional gas during the whole process
Eq7.gif

and
Eq8.gif

With :
Eq9.gif

Eq10.gif

Therefore :
Final Eq.gif

Where,
Vf=V2
Vi=V1
T1=900K

My textbook's answer in part d is also -336Joule, but the method in the solution manual is different than mine.
p.s. The volume is in cubic meter

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you not show us a pV diagram of the problem? Thanks.

EnricoHendro said:
Homework Statement:: A 4.00-L sample of a diatomic ideal gas with specific heat ratio 1.40, confined to a cylinder, is carried through a closed cycle. The gas is initially at 1.00 atm and 300 K. First, its pressure is tripled under constant volume. Then, it expands adiabatically to its original pressure. Finally, the gas is compressed isobarically to its original volume. (a) Determine the volume of the gas at the end of the adiabatic expansion. (b) Find the temperature of the gas at the start of the adiabatic expansion. (c) Find the temperature at the end of the cycle. (d) What was the net work done on the gas for this cycle?
Relevant Equations:: PV=nRT
P(V^y) = Constant

Hello there, is my solution for part d logically correct? Here is my attempt at the solution :
Part a :
View attachment 289142
View attachment 289143
where : P1 = 3P2

Part b :
Since P1=3P2, therefore, T1=3T, where T=300K. Thus, T1=900K

Part c :
Because the final pressure at the end of the cycle is exactly the same as the pressure at the very beginning of the cycle and the volume at the end of the cycle is equal to the very beginning of the cycle, then, T3 = T = 300K, (with T3 = Temperature at the end of the cycle)

Part d :
View attachment 289145
W1 = 0 (Because the first process is isovolumetric)
View attachment 289146 (since the process is adiabatic, where Q=0)
View attachment 289147 (isobaric process)
since :
n is constant assuming no leak and no additional gas during the whole process
View attachment 289149
and
View attachment 289150
With :
View attachment 289151
View attachment 289152
Therefore :
View attachment 289153
Where,
Vf=V2
Vi=V1
T1=900K

My textbook's answer in part d is also -336Joule, but the method in the solution manual is different than mine.
p.s. The volume is in cubic meter

Thank you
It looks like you have a sign error in your last equation (in front of the last term). Please show us what your book did. Did they work with the heats instead of the works? Don't forget that, for the entire cycle, Q = W.

Chestermiller said:
It looks like you have a sign error in your last equation (in front of the last term). Please show us what your book did. Did they work with the heats instead of the works? Don't forget that, for the entire cycle, Q = W.
In the book, it states W = -Q since final temperature after the whole cycle equals to the initial temperature (300K), therefore, the change in internal energy is zero. Using 1st law of thermodynamics, W=-Q. The book evaluates the Q for each cycle, and then using change in internal energy = 0, W=-Q
kumusta said:
Can you not show us a pV diagram of the problem? Thanks.
oh, sorry, I forgot to include the diagram. Here it is. Mine's the one on whiteboard, it's a very rough sketch, and I will also include the diagram from the book
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.38.07 PM.png
unnamed.jpg

Chestermiller said:
here is the method that my book used
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.38.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.38.56 PM.png

EnricoHendro said:
here is the method that my book used View attachment 289160View attachment 289161
Oh. The form of the 1st law I work with is ##\Delta U=Q-W##, where W is the work done by the system on the surroundings. Apparently you use ##\Delta U=Q+W##, where W is the work done by the surroundings on the system.

Either of the two methods (yours or your book's) is acceptable. I would have used their method, because it seems easier (to me).

Likes EnricoHendro
Chestermiller said:
Oh. The form of the 1st law I work with is ##\Delta U=Q-W##, where W is the work done by the system on the surroundings. Apparently you use ##\Delta U=Q+W##, where W is the work done by the surroundings on the system.

Either of the two methods (yours or your book's) is acceptable. I would have used their method, because it seems easier (to me).
oh I see. Yes, my textbook taught me that the change in internal energy is Q+W.

I see. Thank you for your answer

I just want to make some clarifications regarding the two forms of the first law that Chestermiller mentioned: ##\Delta U = Q \pm W##
Chestermiller said:
Oh. The form of the 1st law I work with is ##\Delta U=Q-W##, where W is the work done by the system on the surroundings. Apparently you use ##\Delta U=Q+W##, where W is the work done by the surroundings on the system ... Either of the two methods ... is acceptable ...
In both of them, ##Q \gt 0## for the heat absorbed by (added to) the system, while ##Q \lt 0## for the heat given off, removed from the system. They differ in the sign convention for ##W~##though.
##~\Delta U = Q - W~\Rightarrow~\begin{cases}\begin{align} &W\gt~0~ \text { for work done by system (volume expansion)}\dots \nonumber \\ &W\lt~0~ \text { for work done on system (volume compresion)}\dots\nonumber\end{align}\end{cases}##
To understand the above sign convention, you have to remember than the internal energy##~\Delta U~##depends on the temperature only. Since volume compression generally leads to rise in temperature ##-## just think of a bicycle tire slightly warming up when too much air is pumped into it ##-## making ##W\lt~0~##in the first form of the first law given above adds more heat to ##Q## causing##~\Delta U~##to increase. On the other hand, with ##W\gt~0~##during volume expansion (removing some air inside the tire to give more space to the gas particles inside), heat is removed instead from ##Q## causing ##\Delta U~##to decrease which then leads to a drop in temperature of the tire.
The sign convention for ##W## in the second form of the first law is just opposite to that in the first form.
##~\Delta U = Q + W~\Rightarrow~\begin{cases}\begin{align} &W\lt~0~ \text { for work done by system (volume expansion)}\dots \nonumber \\ &W\gt~0~ \text { for work done on system (volume compresion)}\dots\nonumber\end{align}\end{cases}##

Likes EnricoHendro

1. What is a cyclic process for ideal gases?

A cyclic process for ideal gases is a thermodynamic process in which the gas undergoes a series of changes and returns to its initial state. This means that the initial and final temperatures, pressures, and volumes of the gas are the same.

2. What are the types of cyclic processes for ideal gases?

There are four types of cyclic processes for ideal gases: isothermal, adiabatic, isobaric, and isochoric. Each type describes a different way in which the gas's temperature, pressure, and volume change during the process.

3. How is work calculated in a cyclic process for ideal gases?

The work done by a gas in a cyclic process can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on a pressure-volume (PV) diagram. This is known as the PV work and is represented by the equation W = PΔV, where P is the pressure and ΔV is the change in volume.

4. What is the first law of thermodynamics and how does it apply to cyclic processes for ideal gases?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This law applies to cyclic processes for ideal gases as the energy of the gas remains constant throughout the process, meaning that the work done by the gas is equal to the heat absorbed by the gas.

5. What are some real-life examples of cyclic processes for ideal gases?

Some common examples of cyclic processes for ideal gases include the operation of a car engine, the refrigeration cycle in a refrigerator, and the operation of a gas turbine in a power plant. In each of these examples, the gas undergoes a series of changes and returns to its initial state in a continuous cycle.