Cylinder Compression: Pressure & Temperature Change

In summary, during a compression of a cylinder, both pressure and temperature can increase according to thermodynamics. However, there is no law that can give us both changes simultaneously, so usually one is assumed to remain constant. In a real world scenario, when the cylinder is isolated, the final pressure and temperature can be determined for both adiabatic reversible and irreversible compressions. For the reversible case, resources such as "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Moran et al. and "Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Kittel are recommended.
Pau Hernandez
Hello,

according to thermodynamics the compression of a cylinder can both increase pressure and increase temperature. Unfortunately there is no law that gives us boh presure and temperture change given the change of volume, previous temperature and previous pressure? Usually we do either assume that pressure or temperature remains constant. Suppose the cylinder is isolated. What happens in a real world scenario to the pressure and temperature? How am I able to properly calculate the changes?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's an adiabatic reversible compression, you can determine both the final pressure and the final temperature. If an irreversible compression is carried out in such a way that the extrernal pressure is controlled during the piston motion, the work can be determined and the final equilibrium temperature and pressure can be determined.

I appreciate the answer, sir. Any resources I can read up on the reversible case?

Pau Hernandez said:
I appreciate the answer, sir. Any resources I can read up on the reversible case?
Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics, Moran et al.

introduction to thermal physics written by kittel

Related to Cylinder Compression: Pressure & Temperature Change

1. What is cylinder compression?

Cylinder compression refers to the process in an internal combustion engine where the air-fuel mixture is compressed by the piston before being ignited by a spark plug. This results in a more efficient and powerful combustion process.

2. How does cylinder pressure change during compression?

During the compression stroke, the piston moves upwards, reducing the volume of the cylinder and increasing the pressure of the air-fuel mixture. This pressure can reach over 100 psi in a typical engine.

3. What is the relationship between cylinder temperature and compression?

As the air-fuel mixture is compressed, its temperature also increases due to the adiabatic process. This means that the temperature rises without any heat being added or removed from the system. The higher the compression ratio, the greater the increase in temperature.

4. How does cylinder compression affect engine performance?

Cylinder compression is crucial for engine performance as it directly impacts the power and efficiency of the engine. A higher compression ratio leads to more power and better fuel efficiency, while a lower ratio can result in less power and decreased fuel efficiency.

5. What factors can affect cylinder compression?

The compression ratio in an engine can be affected by various factors such as the design of the engine, the type and quality of fuel used, air intake temperature, and engine speed. Any issues with the piston, valves, or head gasket can also impact cylinder compression.