Cylinder Falling from Unwinding String

In summary, the unwinding string has a significant impact on the falling of the cylinder due to conservation of angular momentum. Factors such as the string's length and thickness, the cylinder's weight and shape, and gravity can affect the speed at which the cylinder falls. The motion of the cylinder is not considered uniform because of the changing acceleration caused by the unwinding string. The shape of the cylinder can also influence its fall, with a larger diameter resulting in more air resistance and a streamlined shape leading to a smoother and faster fall. While the unwinding string can be used to control the trajectory of the falling cylinder to some extent, other factors such as gravity and air resistance will ultimately play a role.
milanocookie
Homework Statement
Iron cylinder with radius r has a string wound around it. As cylinder falls it unwinds string. Write an equation that relates the forces that act on the cylinder to its linear accceleration a, along with an equation that relates the torques that act on the cylinder to its angular acceleration a.
Relevant Equations
Moment of inertia of a solid cylinder is I= ½mr²
I need help with this homework question and I'm blanking out. Can anyone help me to answer this question correctly.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
milanocookie said:
Can anyone help me to answer this question correctly.

Break it up in steps!

A good first step is to make a drawing that shows relevant variables

A natural second step is to collect relevant equations connecting these variables

##\ ##

1. What causes a cylinder to fall from unwinding string?

The cylinder falls from unwinding string due to the force of gravity acting on the object. As the string unwinds, the cylinder loses its support and falls towards the ground.

2. How does the speed of the unwinding string affect the falling cylinder?

The speed of the unwinding string can affect the falling cylinder in two ways. If the string unwinds slowly, the cylinder will fall at a slower rate. However, if the string unwinds quickly, the cylinder will fall at a faster rate due to the increased force of gravity.

3. Can the weight of the cylinder impact its fall from unwinding string?

Yes, the weight of the cylinder can impact its fall from unwinding string. A heavier cylinder will experience a greater force of gravity and will fall faster than a lighter cylinder.

4. How does the length of the string affect the fall of the cylinder?

The length of the string can affect the fall of the cylinder in two ways. A longer string will allow the cylinder to fall from a greater height, resulting in a longer fall time. Additionally, a longer string will also result in a slower fall rate due to the increased distance the cylinder must travel.

5. What other factors can influence the fall of a cylinder from unwinding string?

Other factors that can influence the fall of a cylinder from unwinding string include air resistance and the shape of the cylinder. Air resistance can slow down the fall of the cylinder, while the shape of the cylinder can affect how it interacts with the air and the force of gravity.