Cylinder pulled by string on flat surface w/out slipping

In summary, the problem statement is that a 100kg homogeneous cylinder of radius .3m. Starts at rest. Is pulled by a string wrapped around the cylinder coming off the top with a force of 500N. Find the angular velocity after the cylinder has rolled one revolution.
highroller
1. The problem statement: a 100kg homogeneous cylinder of radius .3m. Starts at rest. Is pulled by a string wrapped around the cylinder coming off the top with a force of 500N.

Find the angular velocity after the cylinder has rolled one revolution?

The attempt at a solution: I= 4.5kg*m^2

circumferance=1.885m

work= 500*1.885= .5m(wr)^2+.5Iw^2 (using w for omega)

answer I get ... w=11.81rad/s

supposedly correct answer is 16.71

can someone please explain. I suppose the force could be doing rotational work as well but I'm having a hard time believing that the force does double the work because of where it is applyed.

My question is which answer is correct and WHY? thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi highroller! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
highroller said:
a 100kg homogeneous cylinder of radius .3m. Starts at rest. Is pulled by a string wrapped around the cylinder coming off the top with a force of 500N.

Find the angular velocity after the cylinder has rolled one revolution?

Yes intial energy is zero, so work done = final energy. :smile:

But what is your .5m(ωr)2 supposed to be?

There's no extra mass … it's only a cylinder, with energy 1/2 Iω2 :wink:

the cylinder has both linear and rotational ke so the .5m(wr)^2 comes from .5mv^2 with v=wr

highroller said:
the cylinder has both linear and rotational ke so the .5m(wr)^2 comes from .5mv^2 with v=wr

ah, sorry … i looked at your 500*1.885 and assumed that the axle was fixed. :redface:

Hint: how fast is the string moving? :smile:

highroller said:
Imagine someone pulling the string. In order to have the cylinder roll through one revolution, for what distance must they pull the string? (Don't forget that the string is unwinding as it's being pulled.)

Related to Cylinder pulled by string on flat surface w/out slipping

What is a cylinder pulled by a string on a flat surface without slipping?

A cylinder pulled by a string on a flat surface without slipping is a physics problem that involves a cylindrical object being pulled by a string on a flat surface, where the object does not slip or rotate as it is being pulled.

What is the purpose of studying this problem?

The purpose of studying this problem is to understand the principles of motion and forces, specifically the relationship between friction and the applied force on an object.

What are the key factors that affect the motion of the cylinder in this problem?

The key factors that affect the motion of the cylinder in this problem are the applied force, the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the surface, and the mass and radius of the cylinder.

How do you calculate the acceleration of the cylinder in this problem?

The acceleration of the cylinder can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the difference between the applied force and the force of friction, which can be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the normal force.

What is the significance of the cylinder not slipping in this problem?

The fact that the cylinder does not slip in this problem is significant because it allows us to simplify the problem and focus on the linear motion of the object, rather than having to consider rotational motion as well. This is an important concept in understanding the dynamics of objects on flat surfaces.