Cylinder rotating on a support

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the linear acceleration of a cylinder with known masses and force, but unknown radius. The experts suggest using the relation between linear acceleration at a point and the center of the cylinder, and after some calculations, the expected result is achieved. The conversation highlights the importance of thinking and problem-solving in finding solutions.
ricles
Homework Statement
A solid cylinder A of uniform mass given ##m_1## can rotate freely along an axis fixed to a support B of given mass ##m_2##, also given. A constant force ##F## is applied at the extremity (point ##k##) of a light thread firmly rolled in the cylinder. The friction between the support and the horizontal place is negligible. Find the acceleration at point ##k##.
Relevant Equations
Equations of linear and rotational motion.
This comes from a list of exercises, and setting ##m_1 = 5.4kg##, ##m_2 = 9.3kg## and ##F=5N##, the answer should yield ##2.19m/s^2## (of course, supposing the answer is right).

If I knew the radius ##R## of the cylinder, I could find its momentum and use it to find the linear acceleration. I'm really mystified on how to go about this problem without the radius 🤔
cylinder_on_support.png

(sorry for the poor drawing :p)

Physics news on Phys.org
ricles said:
If I knew the radius ##R## of the cylinder, I could find its momentum and use it to find the linear acceleration.
It's not clear how you would get from momentum to acceleration.

I'm really mystified on how to go about this problem without the radius 🤔
It could be that ##R## cancels out in the calculations so that the answer doesn't depend on ##R##.

You will probably need to think about the relation between the linear acceleration of ##k## and the linear acceleration of the center of the cylinder.

Likes Lnewqban
Yes, that's right. It's actually not complicated after thinking a little, we have (##a_k## denoting the acceleration at the point k):
$$
\begin{align}
a_{cm} & = \frac{f}{m_1 + m_2} \\
\tau &= f\cdot R = I\cdot \alpha = \left(\frac12 m_1 R^2 \right) \alpha \therefore \alpha = \frac{2f}{m_1R} \\
a_R &= R\cdot \alpha = \frac{2f}{m_1} \text{ (and this is where the R cancels)}\\
a_k &= a_{cm} + a_R = \frac{2f}{m_1} + \frac{f}{m_1 + m_2}
\end{align}
$$
and plugging the values yields the expected result. It was a simple problem - it's just I was "blocked" from seeing it, so to speak. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement 👍

Likes Lnewqban and TSny

1) How does a cylinder rotate on a support?

A cylinder rotates on a support due to the application of a torque, which is a twisting force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In this case, the support acts as the axis of rotation for the cylinder.

2) What is the purpose of a cylinder rotating on a support?

The rotation of a cylinder on a support can serve various purposes, such as generating power, transmitting motion, or performing a specific task (e.g. cutting, grinding, etc.). It can also be used as a simple demonstration of rotational motion in physics experiments.

3) What factors affect the rotation of a cylinder on a support?

The rotation of a cylinder on a support can be affected by several factors, including the applied torque, the mass and shape of the cylinder, the friction between the cylinder and the support, and the presence of any external forces (e.g. air resistance).

4) How can the speed of a cylinder rotating on a support be calculated?

The speed of a cylinder rotating on a support can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity (in radians per second), and r is the radius of the cylinder. This formula is derived from the relationship between linear and angular velocity, v = rω.

5) What is the difference between rolling and sliding motion in a cylinder rotating on a support?

Rolling motion is when the cylinder rotates and moves without slipping on the support, while sliding motion is when the cylinder rotates and moves with slipping on the support. Rolling motion occurs when the friction between the cylinder and support is sufficient to prevent slipping, while sliding motion occurs when the friction is not enough to prevent slipping.