Cylinder sets, some clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cylinder sets in a course on phase transitions. These sets are introduced in the context of systems on a lattice with a finite state space for each lattice point. The configuration space over the entire lattice is shown to be compact, and cylinder sets are defined as the set of points that project onto a given subset of the lattice. The conversation also touches on the intuition behind cylinder sets and their usefulness, as well as their relation to other mathematical concepts such as manifolds and Banach spaces.
JorisL
Hey,

In a course were we are treating phase transitions from a mathematically exact point of view, Cylinder sets were introduced. I'll first outline the context some more.

So we are considering systems on a lattice with a finite state space for each lattice point, for simplicity. E.g. an Ising spin model on a d-dimensional lattice ##\mathcal{L} = \mathbb{Z}^d##.
The spins can take values in ##S = \{-1,+1\}## and the entire configuration is an element of ##\Omega = S^\mathcal{L}##.
From Tychonoff's theorem we get that the configuration space over the entire lattice is compact (product of compact spaces).

Now denote ##\Lambda \subset \mathcal{L}## as a finite subset (for example the d-dimensional hypercubes ##\Lambda_n = [-n,n]^d##).
Furthermore we use ##\sigma , \nu , \xi## to denote configurations on the lattice i.e. they are exactly the elements of ##\Omega##.
Finally we have this notion we can use to have an idea of distance (not very exact I think),
[tex]\xi \equiv \sigma \,\text{on}\, \Lambda \Leftrightarrow \forall x\in\Lambda ,\, \xi(x) = \sigma(x)[/tex]

We defined the cylinder sets as
[tex]\mathcal{N}_\Lambda(\sigma) = \left\{ \xi\in\Omega : \xi \equiv \sigma \,\text{on}\, \Lambda\right\},\,\sigma\in\Omega[/tex]

I hope this is somewhat clear so far.
Mathematically it kind of makes sense to me, what I don't have is an intuitive idea of these cylinder sets.

How useful are these without the notion of distance (at least we haven't defined this so I guess it is not needed)?
Why are they called cylinder sets? Were they first constructed for a space where they actually are cylinders (or are isomorphic to cylinders)?
Can they be represented in a diagram (with appropriate projections/maps between space) like in the case of a manifold with its tangent spaces/bundle and cotangent spaces? I ask this because I attempted something like that and got stuck with making this into a clear diagram (other spaces are added afterwards like a Banach space of observables).

Thanks

Joris

Physics news on Phys.org
Your exposition is very clear - my take on this is that a cylinder is the set of points that project onto a given set (say a circle). In your case, you have a natural projection from the set of functions on the lattice to the set of functions on the subset of the lattice (the projection is of course just the restriction operation). As you can see, your cylinder set is indeed "what projects to something given".
I hope it's clear despite the lack of formulas : )

1. What are cylinder sets?

Cylinder sets are a group of cylinders that are composed of the same material and have the same dimensions.

2. What is the purpose of cylinder sets?

Cylinder sets are used for calibration and testing purposes in various industries, such as manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace.

3. How are cylinder sets made?

Cylinder sets are typically made by machining a larger cylinder into smaller cylinders of the desired dimensions. The cylinders are then polished to ensure accurate measurements.

4. What materials are used for cylinder sets?

Materials commonly used for cylinder sets include steel, aluminum, and plastic. The specific material used depends on the intended use and required accuracy.

5. How are cylinder sets calibrated?

Cylinder sets are calibrated using specialized equipment that measures the dimensions and verifies their accuracy. They may also be compared to a known standard for further validation.