Showing that this identity involving the Gamma function is true

In summary, the conversation discusses the result of an integration and its application to a specific case. It is found that the general form is correct, but there are discrepancies in the details. The factors of 4 and 3 are not accounted for and the role of the renormalization scale, denoted as μ, is not clear. The dimension of μ and σ is assumed to be the same, but the use of log(1/σ^2) in the equations is ambiguous without the inclusion of a renormalization factor. The definition and introduction of μ in the text is not specified.
Markus Kahn
Homework Statement
Show that
$$ -\frac{\lambda^4}{M^4}U_S \int\frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4} \frac{1}{k^2-\sigma^2} =-4 \frac{i \lambda^{4}}{(4 \pi)^{2}} \frac{\sigma^{2}}{M^{4}} U_{S}\left[3 \frac{1}{\bar{\epsilon}}+3 \log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{\sigma^{2}}\right)+1\right]+\ldots, $$
where ##\frac{1}{\bar\epsilon} = \frac{1}{\epsilon}-\gamma_{EM}+\ln(4\pi)##, ##U_S## is just a scalar number, ##D=4-2\epsilon## and ##\mu## is the renormalization scale.
Relevant Equations
$$\Gamma(1-\frac{D}{2}) = \Gamma(-1+\epsilon) = -\frac{1}{\epsilon}-1+\gamma_{EM}+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon).$$
My attempt at this:
From the general result
$$\int \frac{d^Dl}{(2\pi)^D} \frac{1}{(l^2+m^2)^n} = \frac{im^{D-2n}}{(4\pi)^{D/2}} \frac{\Gamma(n-D/2)}{\Gamma(n)},$$
we get by setting ##D=4##, ##n=1##, ##m^2=-\sigma^2##
$$-\frac{\lambda^4}{M^4}U_S \int\frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4} \frac{1}{k^2-\sigma^2} =
\frac{i\lambda^4}{M^4}U_S\frac{1}{(4\pi)^{D/2}} \frac{\Gamma(1-D/2)}{\Gamma(1)} (\sigma^2)^{D/2-1}.
$$
We further have
$$\frac{1}{(4\pi)^{D/2}}(\sigma^{2})^{D/2-1}=\frac{1}{(4\pi)^{2-\epsilon}}(\sigma^{2})^{1-\epsilon}= \frac{\sigma^2}{(4\pi)^{2}}\left(\frac{4\pi}{\sigma^{2}}\right)^{\epsilon} = \frac{\sigma^2}{(4\pi)^{2}}e^{\epsilon \ln(4\pi/\sigma^2)}\approx \frac{\sigma^2}{(4\pi)^{2}}\left(1+\epsilon \ln(4\pi/\sigma^2)\right) $$

We are left with
$$ \frac{\Gamma(1-D/2)}{\Gamma(1)} = {\Gamma(1-D/2)} = -\frac{1}{\epsilon}-1+\gamma_{EM}+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon).$$

Put everything together:
$$
\begin{align*}
\frac{i\lambda^4}{M^4}U_S\frac{1}{(4\pi)^{D/2}} \frac{\Gamma(1-D/2)}{\Gamma(1)} (\sigma^2)^{D/2-1}
&=\frac{i\lambda^4}{M^4}U_S \frac{\sigma^2}{(4\pi)^{2}}\left(1+\epsilon \ln(4\pi/\sigma^2)\right) \left(-\frac{1}{\epsilon}-1+\gamma_{EM}+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon)\right)\\
&= \frac{i\lambda^4}{(4\pi)^{2}}U_S \frac{\sigma^2}{M^4}\left(1+\epsilon \ln(4\pi/\sigma^2)\right) \left(-\frac{1}{\epsilon}-1+\gamma_{EM}+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon)\right)\\
&= -\frac{i\lambda^4}{(4\pi)^{2}}U_S \frac{\sigma^2}{M^4}\left(-\gamma_{EM} +\log \left(\frac{4 \pi}{\sigma ^2}\right)+\frac{1}{\epsilon }+1\right) + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon)\\
&= -\frac{i\lambda^4}{(4\pi)^{2}}U_S \frac{\sigma^2}{M^4}\left(\frac{1}{\epsilon }-\gamma_{EM} +\log ({4 \pi}) -\log({\sigma ^2})+1\right) + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon)\\
&= -\frac{i\lambda^4}{(4\pi)^{2}}U_S \frac{\sigma^2}{M^4}\left[\frac{1}{\bar\epsilon }+\log\left(\frac{1}{\sigma ^2}\right)+1\right] + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon)\\
&\neq -4 \frac{i \lambda^{4}}{(4 \pi)^{2}}U_{S} \frac{\sigma^{2}}{M^{4}} \left[3 \frac{1}{\bar{\epsilon}}+3 \log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{\sigma^{2}}\right)+1\right]+\ldots.
\end{align*}
$$

Conclusion:

The general form seems to be right, but the details are wrong... I don't see where the prefactors of ##4## and ##3## are supposed to come from, nor do I see where the renormalization scale ##\mu## comes into play...

Physics news on Phys.org
I observe if renormalization factor does not exist in numerator
[tex] \log( 1/\sigma^2)[/tex]
is ambiguous in its physical dimension. I assume dimension of ##\mu## and ##\sigma## is same. How is ##\mu## introduced in your text ? What is its definition ?

1. What is the Gamma function?

The Gamma function, denoted by Γ(z), is a mathematical function that extends the factorial function to complex and real numbers. It is defined as Γ(z) = ∫0 xz-1e-xdx, where z is a complex or real number.

2. What is the identity involving the Gamma function?

The identity involving the Gamma function is given by Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z), which is known as the recursion formula. This identity is used to simplify and evaluate the Gamma function for different values of z.

3. How is the identity involving the Gamma function proved?

The identity involving the Gamma function can be proved using mathematical induction. First, the base case z=1 is proved. Then, assuming the identity holds for some arbitrary value of z, it can be shown that it also holds for z+1. This completes the proof by induction.

4. What are some applications of the Gamma function?

The Gamma function has many applications in mathematics and other fields. It is used in probability and statistics, particularly in the calculation of the gamma distribution. It is also used in physics, where it appears in the solution of differential equations and in the calculation of certain physical quantities. Additionally, the Gamma function is used in engineering, economics, and other areas.

5. Are there any other identities involving the Gamma function?

Yes, there are several other identities involving the Gamma function, such as the duplication formula, the reflection formula, and the multiplication theorem. These identities are used to simplify and evaluate the Gamma function for different values of z and are important in various mathematical and scientific applications.