Cylindrical Capacitor formulae- forming an intuition

In summary: I think what you mean is that the electric field is not constant because it is changing with distance from the inner cylinder.In summary, the conversation involved discussing various concepts related to electricity such as Coulomb's law, electric field, Gauss's law, electric potential, and capacitance. The individual was trying to gain a better understanding of these concepts and how they relate to each other. They also talked about the formula for calculating the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor and how the electric field is not constant in this case. The expert provided some corrections and clarifications to the individual's understanding.
Quintessential
So far I have learned about Coulomb's law, the electric field, gauss's law, the electric potential and now capacitance.

I feel that although I "know of" these topics, I don't actually "flow with them".
Ignoring the math for a second; I want to form an understanding. And I think calculating the capacitance formula of a cylindrical capacitor may help.

pAnEl2V.gif
* From that picture I understand that the center cylinder has a positive value, and the outer cylinder has an equal and opposite value.

* There must be an electric field in midst of the cylinders flowing from the positive to the negative.

* (I'm still confused with the electric potential portion, but here goes) There is also an electric potential tied together with this field. And to find this potential \(\displaystyle V\), I must find the Electric Field \(\displaystyle E\).

* I know: \(\displaystyle \oint_S {E_n dA = \frac{1}{{\varepsilon _0 }}} Q_{inside}\)

* Using the given gaussian surface on that picture, I should find \(\displaystyle E\).

* Once I find \(\displaystyle E\), I should plug it into the formula: \(\displaystyle \Delta V=-Ed\) and \(\displaystyle d\) being the distance \(\displaystyle (b-a)\). Because, (...not certain) the electric field multiplied by a given distance equals the electric potential for that given distance.

* Now that I have \(\displaystyle \Delta V\) I use the following: \(\displaystyle C=\frac{Q}{\Delta V}\). I know the electric potential and the charge is \(\displaystyle Q\). With that, I find the capacitance.

I haven't done any calculations to prove this. I only wanted to know if my intuition was legal.

Thank You.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Quintessential said:
So far I have learned about Coulomb's law, the electric field, gauss's law, the electric potential and now capacitance.

I feel that although I "know of" these topics, I don't actually "flow with them".
Ignoring the math for a second; I want to form an understanding. And I think calculating the capacitance formula of a cylindrical capacitor may help.

pAnEl2V.gif
Hey Quintessential! Nice picture! ;)
(I like pictures. :eek:)

This is all correct with 1 caution and 1 exception, which I'll comment on below.
* From that picture I understand that the center cylinder has a positive value, and the outer cylinder has an equal and opposite value.

* There must be an electric field in midst of the cylinders flowing from the positive to the negative.

* (I'm still confused with the electric potential portion, but here goes) There is also an electric potential tied together with this field. And to find this potential \(\displaystyle V\), I must find the Electric Field \(\displaystyle E\).

* I know: \(\displaystyle \oint_S {E_n dA = \frac{1}{{\varepsilon _0 }}} Q_{inside}\)

Caution: this only applies for a static electric field in vacuum.
* Using the given gaussian surface on that picture, I should find \(\displaystyle E\).

* Once I find \(\displaystyle E\), I should plug it into the formula: \(\displaystyle \Delta V=-Ed\) and \(\displaystyle d\) being the distance \(\displaystyle (b-a)\). Because, (...not certain) the electric field multiplied by a given distance equals the electric potential for that given distance.

This is only true if the electric field is constant, which it is not in this case.
The proper formulas are:
$$\mathbf E = -\nabla V$$
$$\Delta V = - \int_a^b \mathbf E \cdot \mathbf {dl}$$
* Now that I have \(\displaystyle \Delta V\) I use the following: \(\displaystyle C=\frac{Q}{\Delta V}\). I know the electric potential and the charge is \(\displaystyle Q\). With that, I find the capacitance.

I haven't done any calculations to prove this. I only wanted to know if my intuition was legal.

Thank You.

Thanks a bunch for the helpful input!

Regarding the following:

I like Serena said:
This is only true if the electric field is constant, which it is not in this case.
The proper formulas are:
$$\mathbf E = -\nabla V$$
$$\Delta V = - \int_a^b \mathbf E \cdot \mathbf {dl}$$

Had the cylinder been infinitely long vertically, would the electric field have been constant?

Quintessential said:
Had the cylinder been infinitely long vertically, would the electric field have been constant?

No.
The electric field is diverging from the inner cylinder toward the outer cylinder.
That means it becomes weaker.

Note that electric field strength is proportional to the density of the drawn electric field lines.
Close to the inner cylinder the density of lines is higher than it is at the outer cylinder.

Perfect. Makes sense.

\(\displaystyle \Delta V = -E \int_0^{b-a} {dl}\)

I think I can take E out of the dot product seeing as how \(\displaystyle cos(\theta)=1\), rather the Electric field lines are parallel with the normal of the inner cylinder surface packets \(\displaystyle dl\)

And I'll have to integrate from 0 to the distance between the cylinders, so: \(\displaystyle b-a\)

As for \(\displaystyle dl\), now what would that be?

\(\displaystyle \Delta V = -E 2 \pi al(b-a)\)

I'm going for the volume between the cylinders. Still not 100% on this...

Quintessential said:
Perfect. Makes sense.

\(\displaystyle \Delta V = -E \int_0^{b-a} {dl}\)

I think I can take E out of the dot product seeing as how \(\displaystyle cos(\theta)=1\), rather the Electric field lines are parallel with the normal of the inner cylinder surface packets \(\displaystyle dl\)

Neh. That won't work.
You can only bring $E$ outside of the integral if it is constant, but it's not.
It changes with the radius, so we might write $E=E(r)$, meaning that $E$ is a function of $r$.

Then we get:
$$\Delta V = -\int_a^b \mathbf E \cdot \mathbf{dl} = -\int_a^b E(r) dr$$

To find $E(r)$ you need to use the other formula
$$\oint_{r\text{ constant}} E(r) dA = \frac Q {\varepsilon_0}$$

When you have $E(r)$ you can integrate it to find $\Delta V$.

1. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor is C = 2πε0εr(h/ln(b/a)), where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the dielectric material, h is the height of the cylinder, and a and b are the inner and outer radii, respectively.

2. How do the dimensions of a cylindrical capacitor affect its capacitance?

The capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor is directly proportional to the height of the cylinder and the relative permittivity of the dielectric material. It is inversely proportional to the natural logarithm of the ratio of the outer and inner radii. This means that increasing the height or relative permittivity will increase the capacitance, while increasing the ratio of the radii will decrease the capacitance.

3. Can the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor be infinite?

No, the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor cannot be infinite. As the inner radius approaches zero, the capacitance approaches infinity, but this is not a physically possible scenario. In practical applications, there will always be a finite inner radius and therefore a finite capacitance.

4. How does the dielectric material impact the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor?

The dielectric material between the two cylinders in a cylindrical capacitor affects the capacitance by increasing or decreasing the relative permittivity. Materials with a higher relative permittivity will have a greater impact on increasing the capacitance, while materials with a lower relative permittivity will have a smaller impact.

5. Can the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor be negative?

No, the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor cannot be negative. Capacitance is a measure of the ability of a capacitor to store electric charge, and a negative capacitance would indicate the ability to store negative charge, which is not physically possible.