Cylindrically symmetric plasmas and models for.

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's simple model for studying laser-plasma interaction, focusing on a cylindrically symmetric system with a cylindrically symmetric laser beam and an initially charge neutral plasma. The speaker also mentions assumptions and considerations, such as the effects of laser beam polarization and non-linear effects in the plasma. Additionally, the importance of validating the model with data is emphasized.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
Hi,

I have currently been thinking about laser-plasma interaction and I have a simple model in mind. I am going to look for a cylindrically symmetric solution of a cylindrically symmetric laser beam (of radius R) hits a initially charge neutral plasma creating an electron beam in the plasma. For the electron beam I am also going to assume that there is only one component of the magnetic field B_theta and 2 components for the electric field, E_r and E_z. I think this will be the most simple model I can write down whilst giving some information about the 2D case (the 1D case has been completed).

Once more assumption which I am not too sure will hold or not (but I think it will) is that the electron beam in the plasma will begin to spread out radially but my assumption will be that it doesn't spread out much and therefore, i can use that idea to reduce the complexity and allow me to linearize the equations, decouple them and solve them.

I have my working in the attached PDF document in section 2 - Perturbation idea.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• plasma_pde.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 256
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on laser-plasma interaction. Your approach seems to be a good starting point for studying this phenomenon. However, I would like to point out a few things that you may want to consider in your model.

Firstly, in a cylindrically symmetric system, it is important to also consider the effects of the laser beam's polarization. This can affect the direction and strength of the electric and magnetic fields and can play a significant role in the dynamics of the plasma-electron interaction. Additionally, in a 2D case, the laser beam may not remain perfectly cylindrically symmetric as it propagates through the plasma, which can also affect the behavior of the system.

Secondly, it is important to consider the non-linear effects that may arise in the plasma due to the strong electric and magnetic fields. These effects can lead to instabilities and turbulence in the plasma, which can significantly alter the behavior of the system. Therefore, it may be necessary to include non-linear terms in your equations to accurately capture the dynamics of the plasma-electron beam interaction.

Lastly, I would suggest validating your model with experimental or numerical data to ensure its accuracy and applicability. This can also help in identifying any additional factors that may need to be included in your model.

Overall, your approach seems to be a good starting point for studying laser-plasma interaction, but it will be important to consider these factors and possibly refine your model as you progress. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a cylindrically symmetric plasma?

A cylindrically symmetric plasma is a type of plasma that has a cylindrical shape, meaning that its properties are uniform and do not vary with respect to the direction along the axis of the cylinder. This type of plasma is commonly found in laboratory experiments and in certain natural phenomena, such as lightning bolts and the aurora borealis.

2. How are cylindrically symmetric plasmas created in the laboratory?

Cylindrically symmetric plasmas can be created in the laboratory using various methods, such as electric discharge, laser ablation, or radio frequency heating. These methods involve applying energy to a gas or solid material, which causes it to ionize and form a plasma. The plasma then takes on a cylindrical shape due to the geometry of the setup.

3. What are some common models used to describe cylindrically symmetric plasmas?

There are several models that can be used to describe cylindrically symmetric plasmas, including the fluid model, the kinetic model, and the hybrid model. The fluid model treats the plasma as a fluid and describes its behavior using fluid equations, while the kinetic model takes into account the individual particles in the plasma and their interactions. The hybrid model combines aspects of both fluid and kinetic models to provide a more accurate description of the plasma.

4. What are some key properties of cylindrically symmetric plasmas?

Cylindrically symmetric plasmas have several key properties, including temperature, density, and magnetic field strength. These properties can be manipulated through various methods, such as adjusting the input energy or changing the geometry of the plasma chamber. Additionally, the behavior of the plasma can be influenced by external factors, such as the presence of other materials or applied electric or magnetic fields.

5. What are the potential applications of cylindrically symmetric plasmas?

Cylindrically symmetric plasmas have a wide range of potential applications, including materials processing, energy production, and space propulsion. In materials processing, the high temperatures and ionization of the plasma can be used to create thin films or modify the surface properties of materials. In energy production, plasmas can be used in fusion reactors to produce clean and abundant energy. Additionally, plasmas can be used for spacecraft propulsion by ionizing a gas and accelerating it through a magnetic field.