D-Wave quantum computer processor

In summary, Professor Matthias Troyer published an article in arXiv and Science discussing his test results on the latest D-Wave quantum computer processor. Despite claims of computational advantage, Troyer found no significant difference compared to a conventional computer. The article has caused debate in the physics community and has been a lead story in phys.org. Further research is needed to fully understand the capabilities of the D-Wave machine.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If you haven't followed what this company has been doing, you probably don't understand my trepidations at posting about it here - but I do want to hear reaction to Professor Matthias Troyer test results from this sector of the Physics community. It involves "Engineering", "Quantum Physics", and probably a few other things - but I think it has the closest tie to "Quantum Physics".

Professor Matthias Troyer published his article in arXiv and it is now been carried in Science. I have read about the article, but not the article itself.

He was testing the latest D-Wave quantum computer processor against a conventional computer. The bottom line is that he could not find any significant computational advantage to the D-Wave machine.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.Scott said:
If you haven't followed what this company has been doing, you probably don't understand my trepidations at posting about it here - but I do want to hear reaction to Professor Matthias Troyer test results from this sector of the Physics community. It involves "Engineering", "Quantum Physics", and probably a few other things - but I think it has the closest tie to "Quantum Physics".

Professor Matthias Troyer published his article in arXiv and it is now been carried in Science. I have read about the article, but not the article itself.

He was testing the latest Q-Wave quantum computer processor against a conventional computer. The bottom line is that he could not find any significant computational advantage to the Q-Wave machine.

You can't say something like this and not make an exact citation to the sources.

List out the ArXiv article number, or the exact citation to the Science article. This must be a common practice/habit in this forum when citing sources.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You can't say something like this and not make an exact citation to the sources.

List out the ArXiv article number, or the exact citation to the Science article. This must be a common practice/habit in this forum when citing sources.

Zz.
Sorry. It's currently the lead story in phys.org:

http://phys.org/news/2014-06-independent-group-d-wave-quantum-speedup.html

The Science article was 2 days ago, but I don't have a subscription:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2014/06/18/science.1252319

----------------------
I just found the arXiv article:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.2910

Last edited:
The company is called "D-Wave" not "Q-wave"

(It is "D-Wave" as in d-wave symmetry, their initial work was based on the idea of using high-Tc superconductors to make the qubits, and the gap of high-Tc superconductors has d-wave symmetry)

Edit: I think the jury is still out on what is going on. I think there is a now a general consensus that their machine is doing "something" and that it is not fully understood which in itself is interesting. They have demonstrated entanglement between neighboring qubits so there are certainly "local" QM effects involved, but whether or not this will allow for any speedup is another question.

f95toli said:
The company is called "D-Wave" not "Q-wave"
I asked a moderator to change it - and it has been done. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is a D-Wave quantum computer processor?

A D-Wave quantum computer processor is a type of computer processor that uses quantum mechanics to perform calculations. It is designed to solve complex optimization and machine learning problems that traditional computers struggle with.

2. How does a D-Wave quantum computer processor work?

A D-Wave quantum computer processor contains quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows the processor to explore many possible solutions to a problem at once, rather than only one at a time like traditional computers.

3. What makes the D-Wave quantum computer processor different from other quantum computers?

The D-Wave quantum computer processor is different because it uses a process called quantum annealing, which is specialized for solving optimization problems. Other quantum computers may use different methods, such as gate-based quantum computing, for performing calculations.

4. What are the potential applications of a D-Wave quantum computer processor?

The D-Wave quantum computer processor has the potential to revolutionize fields such as finance, healthcare, and logistics by solving complex optimization problems and improving machine learning processes. It may also have applications in cryptography and artificial intelligence.

5. Are D-Wave quantum computer processors commercially available?

Yes, D-Wave has released several generations of quantum computer processors and offers them for commercial use through their Leap quantum cloud service. However, at this time, their processors are still primarily used for research and development purposes rather than everyday computing tasks.