Dalton's law of partial pressures equivalent to volume ratio?

In summary, the conversation discusses a relation in physical chemistry textbooks for determining partial pressure of an ideal gas component in a mixture or solution. Instead of using Dalton's law, the relation Pi = (volume i : volume mixture or solution)Ptot can be used. The conversation also includes an attempt at solving the problem using PV=nRT, but ultimately concludes that summing partial pressures Pi is equivalent to assuming all gases occupy the same volume Vtotal, and summing partial volumes Vi is equivalent to assuming all gases are under the same pressure Ptotal. The final question is about the general equation ni = ViPtot/RT = VtotPi/RT and its validity.
Syrus

Homework Statement

I had a general inquiry about a relation in my physical chemistry textbook. It stated that when determining the partial pressure of an ideal gas component in a mixture/solution, instead of using the standard Dalton's law: Pi = xiPtot, one can simply use the relation Pi = (volume i : volume mixture or solution)Ptot.

I am having a hard time convincing myself of this and have not been able to find a derivation of this in either my book or online. Can someone please help me get started?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
PV=nRT is all you need. How does n depend on V?

Well, perhaps adding obvious

[tex]n_{total} = \sum n_i[/tex]

will help.

Assuming we are dealing with a binary solution, that gets me here...(still stuck)

xi = ni/ntot

ni = PiVi/RT

ntot = PiVi/RT + PjVj/RT

ni/ntot = PiVi/(PiVi + PjVj)

...?

Obviously we want xi to somehow equal Vi/ Vtot

You don't have separate PiVi pairs. If you sum partial pressures Pi it is equivalent to assuming all gases occupy the same volume Vtotal, if you sum partial volumes Vi it is equivalent to assuming all gases are under the same pressure Ptotal.

Ah, i see what you are saying now.

If we write ni = ViPtot/RT this leads us to the conclusion.

I am curious now why ni = ViPtot/RT = VtotPi/RT in general

1. What is Dalton's law of partial pressures equivalent to volume ratio?

Dalton's law of partial pressures equivalent to volume ratio states that the total pressure exerted by a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture.

2. How does Dalton's law of partial pressures equivalent to volume ratio relate to the ideal gas law?

Dalton's law can be seen as an extension of the ideal gas law, as it explains the behavior of mixtures of gases when their individual properties are taken into account.

3. Can Dalton's law of partial pressures equivalent to volume ratio be applied to non-ideal gases?

Yes, while Dalton's law is most accurate for ideal gases, it can still be applied to non-ideal gases as long as the conditions are not too extreme.

4. How is Dalton's law of partial pressures equivalent to volume ratio used in real-world applications?

This law is commonly used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and meteorology to calculate the behavior of gas mixtures in various environments.

5. Are there any limitations to Dalton's law of partial pressures equivalent to volume ratio?

One limitation is that it assumes that the gases in the mixture do not interact with each other, which may not be the case in some situations.