Dark fiber optic cables as Earthquake detectors

In summary, the technique uses the tiny internal flaws of a long optical fiber to sense seismic waves. This allows Seismologists to determine the kinds of seismic waves that might have nudged the fiber, even if just by a few tens of nanometers. It is still finding it's feet, but has potential as an earthquake early warning system.
Oldman too
Hello,
Recently while familiarizing myself with the rodent menace affecting Fiber optic networks, I came across this rather novel use for the dark, or unused fibers in buried cables. The method apparently holds a lot of promise as well as significant advantages over many current Seismology tools. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this technique, maybe @davenn or another geologically inclined individual? Thanks, Scott

Paywall version.
https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ss...istributed-Acoustic-Sensing-Turns-Fiber-Optic

User friendly version.
https://www.seismosoc.org/news/seismologists-see-future-in-fiber-optic-cables-as-earthquake-sensors/

https://www.seismosoc.org/news/researchers-lay-out-case-for-das-in-earthquake-early-warning/

DAS works by using the tiny internal flaws of a long optical fiber as thousands of seismic sensors along tens of kilometers of fiber optic cable. An instrument at one end sends laser pulses down a cable and collects and measures the “echo” of each pulse as it is reflected off the internal fiber flaws.

When the fiber is disturbed by changes in temperature, strain or vibrations—caused by seismic waves, for instance—there are changes in the size, frequency and phase of laser light scattered back to the DAS instrument. Seismologists can use these changes to determine the kinds of seismic waves that might have nudged the fiber, even if just by a few tens of nanometers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Oldman too said:
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this technique,...
It is interesting, but I think it is too early to be familiar. It is still finding it's feet.

Likes pinball1970 and Oldman too
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970, hutchphd and Oldman too
Oldman too said:
Thanks for that link, I'll post fewer abstracts now. definitely a TIL moment.
I used the Unpaywall extension for Firefox to find an open copy.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and BillTre
Baluncore said:
Unpaywall extension for Firefox
I'll be looking into that extension, it's new to me. Thanks for mentioning it!
(I see FF hit Version 100.0 today)

It's not the same use case, @Oldman too, but I was at an industry conference last week and some water utilities are using fibre optics cables to detect water leaks. Apparently, our largest Telco is involved in the trial, and it utilises existing infrastructure, they are not laying any new fibre runs.

I love these "Hey, what about...?" ideas where something completely off topic is derived from existing technology. And in terms of fibre optics for earthquakes, a dedicated network is being laid on Mount Etna, so it's not existing infrastructure, but it's terrific all the same: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29184-w 👍

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and Tom.G
Melbourne Guy said:
a dedicated network is being laid on Mount Etna, so it's not existing infrastructure, but it's terrific all the same:
That looks like a perfect neighborhood to use as a test bed, shouldn't have to wait long for data. Thanks for the Nature link, I hadn't seen it before. Here is a link to the paper it was based on, should be very interesting to see results from that network.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29184-w.pdf

Likes BillTre and Melbourne Guy

1. How do dark fiber optic cables detect earthquakes?

Dark fiber optic cables can detect earthquakes by measuring changes in the light traveling through the cables. When an earthquake occurs, it causes the ground to vibrate, which in turn causes the cables to stretch and contract. This changes the time it takes for light to travel through the cables, and these changes can be detected and measured by specialized equipment.

2. Are dark fiber optic cables more effective than traditional seismometers for earthquake detection?

Dark fiber optic cables have been shown to be just as effective, if not more effective, than traditional seismometers for earthquake detection. This is because they can cover larger areas and provide more detailed data on the intensity and location of earthquakes.

3. Can dark fiber optic cables detect earthquakes in real-time?

Yes, dark fiber optic cables can detect earthquakes in real-time. The changes in light traveling through the cables can be detected and analyzed in real-time, allowing for immediate earthquake detection and response.

4. How accurate are dark fiber optic cables for earthquake detection?

Dark fiber optic cables have been found to be highly accurate for earthquake detection. They can detect even small earthquakes and provide detailed data on their intensity and location. However, it is important to note that they are not a replacement for traditional seismometers and should be used in conjunction with other earthquake monitoring methods.

5. Can dark fiber optic cables be used for other types of natural disaster detection?

Yes, dark fiber optic cables can be used for other types of natural disaster detection, such as landslides and tsunamis. Similar to earthquakes, these events can also cause changes in the light traveling through the cables, which can be detected and analyzed for early warning systems.