Dark matter, entropy and gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of dark matter on normal matter and vice versa. It also raises questions about the rules of thermodynamics and entropy in relation to black holes and dark matter. The concept of information loss and the transfer of information to dark matter is also discussed. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for further research and understanding of dark matter and its interactions with ordinary matter.
Lethal_Firefly
If dark matter affects normal matter (by gravity), does that mean that normal matter also affects dark matter? I think it does...

In which case;

Black holes could attract BOTH dark and normal matter?

Does this give any opportunity to "information loss"?
What if some information in normal matter does not "disappear", but it becomes dark matter?

Also, in thermodynamics, in all isolated systems, entropy level increases?

A black hole is not an isolated system, since matter that is outside goes into it (also, light).
Does that mean that the more a black hole devours, it becomes bigger, but also decreases in entropy?

Or,

Entropy becomes so BIG that it evaporates?

And if dark matter can be sucked in by black holes, that means it follows the rules of thermodynamics? Specifically, entropy?I am sorry if I have some logical failures in this, I am learning about awesome, exciting, and to me new physics :P.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think dark matter has negative mass and would decrease the mass of the black hole? This is not at all true but I'm wondering where you ever heard such a thing.

phinds said:
Why do you think dark matter has negative mass and would decrease the mass of the black hole? This is not at all true but I'm wondering where you ever heard such a thing.

I don't think it does. Why do You think I think that?

Lethal_Firefly said:
I don't think it does. Why do You think I think that?

Guess I misunderstood what you said. Probably read it too quickly.

Lethal_Firefly said:
If dark matter affects normal matter (by gravity), does that mean that normal matter also affects dark matter? I think it does...

In which case;

Black holes could attract BOTH dark and normal matter?

yes and yes.

Does this give any opportunity to "information loss"?

What if some information in normal matter does not "disappear", but it becomes dark matter?

I would say that the information is transferred to dark matter, not that it becomes dark matter, in the same way that kinetic energy might be transferred from normal matter to dark matter. Indeed, information might reside in kinetic energy.

And if dark matter can be sucked in by black holes, that means it follows the rules of thermodynamics? Specifically, entropy?

In all dark matter theories of which I am aware, dark matter follows the rules of thermodynamics and entropy.

Operationally, dark matter is defined as not emitting photons, not interacting via QCD color charge, and being nearly collisionless. The main distinctions between dark matter particles involve self-interaction (or the lack thereof) via some new force that acts between dark matter particles, the number of kinds of dark matter particles, the mass of these particles and their mean velocity (related to their origin as thermal relics or otherwise), their status as fermions or bosons, and their cross-sections of interaction with ordinary matter (if any). Otherwise, it is just like any other kind of matter.

Related to Dark matter, entropy and gravity

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that cannot be seen or detected through traditional methods of observation, such as through telescopes. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and is thought to have a gravitational influence on the visible matter in the universe.

2. How does dark matter affect the universe?

Dark matter plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. Its gravitational pull helps to hold galaxies together and shape their structures. Without dark matter, galaxies would not have enough mass to maintain their shape and would eventually disintegrate.

3. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In physics, it is often used to describe the degree of disorder in a particular region of space. The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy always increases over time, meaning that the universe as a whole is constantly becoming more disordered.

4. How does entropy relate to the concept of time?

Entropy is closely linked to the arrow of time, which describes the one-way direction of time from the past to the future. As entropy increases, the universe becomes more disordered, and it becomes increasingly difficult to reverse the order of events. This is why time is often described as a "flow" or "arrow," as it moves in one direction, from low to high entropy.

5. How do gravity and entropy interact?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the overall increase of entropy in the universe. As matter and energy are constantly moving and changing, gravity helps to bring them together, creating more complex systems and increasing the overall entropy of the universe. Without gravity, the universe would not be able to reach its current state of high entropy and would remain in a more ordered state.