Why Does the US Space Force Reference the Dark Side of the Moon?

KingGambit
Dark side of the moon!

I can understand that Selena Gomez
I've been down the darkest alleys
Saw the dark side of the moon

in Wolf

or Transformer movie use that phrase,

But this is US Space Force, of all people!

US Space Force

Physics news on Phys.org
KingGambit said:

US Space Force
Well it is PR, not science. 'Far side' would be the appropriate term, but it doesn't sound as impressive as the Dark side.

Likes KingGambit
"Darkest Africa" referred to the most unexplored parts of Africa. Likewise, the "dark side of the Moon", referred to the "unseen face" of the Moon, that was not imaged, until the first lunar probe, Luna 3, in 1959.

Likes Vanadium 50, KingGambit and Astronuc
I thought "Dark Side of the Moon" referred to the spectrum you get from a prism.

• Haha
Likes KingGambit, Vanadium 50, gmax137 and 2 others
DrGreg said:
I thought "Dark Side of the Moon" referred to the spectrum you get from a prism.
Depends on whether you're talking entertainment or science. Personally, I never cared that much for Pink Floyd, but to be fair, I'm an old grump and they were WAY past my time. I've heard it said, and I think it's correct that the music you fall in love with in your mid to late teens is YOUR music and although you may really enjoy other music, nothing will ever compare, for you, to YOUR music. For me that was the 50's, not the 80's.

Likes Stavros Kiri and fresh_42
KingGambit said:
Dark side of the moon!

I can understand that Selena Gomez
I've been down the darkest alleys
Saw the dark side of the moon

in Wolf

or Transformer movie use that phrase,

US Space Force
Please, on PF we require high quality references and those are terrible. Try this one:

• Haha
Likes KingGambit, Stavros Kiri, BillTre and 2 others
There is no dark side of moon. Really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
Depends on whether you're talking entertainment or science. Personally, I never cared that much for Pink Floyd, but to be fair, I'm an old grump and they were WAY past my time. I've heard it said, and I think it's correct that the music you fall in love with in your mid to late teens is YOUR music and although you may really enjoy other music, nothing will ever compare, for you, to YOUR music. For me that was the 50's, not the 80's.
I draw the line a bit later and a bit more general. I separate music like this: before and after cadences went out of fashion. That's why, e.g. I like Beethoven and Tchaikovsky more than Schönberg, Stevie Wonder more than Eminem.

Likes pinball1970, KingGambit, Stavros Kiri and 1 other person
phinds said:

I've heard that too. But while I'm still fond of music I grew up with most of it now seems dated. Those old tunes evoke memories and feelings connected to when I first heard them. But my favorite music is a from more current artists. Am I an outlier? I doubt that my experience is that uncommon.

I loved Pink Floyd, still do, and probably played Dark Side of the Moon 500 times. But it's been a while. Lately I can't stop listening to Olivia Rodrigo.

Likes russ_watters
I liked them better when they were still "The Pink Floyd" back in 1967. It is 1960s not 1980s.

There are some nice live videos from that era on u toob as well

Likes pinball1970
gmax137 said:
I liked them better when they were still "The Pink Floyd" back in 1967. It is 1960s not 1980s.

They went through many changes in name, style, and personnel. More like half a dozen different bands than one.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
The far side is darker in that it gets no earthshine. But it also has a higher albedo. It's all so confusing!

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
The far side is darker in that it gets no earthshine. But it also has a higher albedo. It's all so confusing!
One of the measurement proposals to fight CC is to increase the albedo of the Earth. If we do that, then it increases the earthshine of the Moon's near side. Can it outshine the albedo advantage of the far side? It's all so confusing!

phinds said:
I've heard it said, and I think it's correct that the music you fall in love with in your mid to late teens is YOUR music and although you may really enjoy other music, nothing will ever compare, for you, to YOUR music. For me that was the 50's, not the 80's.
That's true the great majority of people won't accept anything after age 25 but not me. I mostly listen to 21st century music, especially by artists still developing. Can they top themselves? And if they make it big you feel happy for them.