Dart trajectory, trig proof.

In summary: That means that you have no equation left, and there is no contradiction. So there is no problem.In summary, there is no contradiction in your work. The errors in your derivation are related to incorrect signs and incorrect equations, which when corrected, show that there is no contradiction in your work. Therefore, your initial statement that you end up at -1 = 1 is incorrect.
LANS
A target is suspended on a platform. A dart launcher is placed at ground level and aimed directly at the target along the line of sight (the distance between dart and target can vary infinitely). Assume a bottomless pit below the target. The dart is launched, and regardless of speed, it will hit the target (although the height at which it hits the target varies). Prove that this will always happen.

Half of the assignment is to solve it with given numbers (10m horizontal distance, initial velocity at 24 m/s, 35 deg above horizontal). I had no trouble solving and verifying that part. However, when I try to repeat the same equations without numbers, I end up at -1 = 1.

I scanned the work I've done so far. I'd appreciate it if someone could point out where I went wrong.

My scanned work is available at:
http://webserver.smphoto.com/physics12/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LANS,

LANS said:
A target is suspended on a platform. A dart launcher is placed at ground level and aimed directly at the target along the line of sight (the distance between dart and target can vary infinitely). Assume a bottomless pit below the target. The dart is launched, and regardless of speed, it will hit the target (although the height at which it hits the target varies). Prove that this will always happen.

Half of the assignment is to solve it with given numbers (10m horizontal distance, initial velocity at 24 m/s, 35 deg above horizontal). I had no trouble solving and verifying that part. However, when I try to repeat the same equations without numbers, I end up at -1 = 1.

I scanned the work I've done so far. I'd appreciate it if someone could point out where I went wrong.

My scanned work is available at:
http://webserver.smphoto.com/physics12/

I believe you have two closely related errors in your work. The first occurs when you are deriving a form for [itex]\Delta h[/itex]. You first write the general formula:

[tex]
\Delta h=v_i\ \Delta t+\frac{1}{2}a\ \Delta t^2
[/tex]
and below that you have:

[tex]
\Delta h=\sin\theta\ z\ \left(\frac{\Delta d}{\cos\theta\ z}\right)+\frac{1}{2}a \left(\frac{\Delta d}{\cos\theta\ z }\right)^2
[/tex]
but this is not right. You have chosen downwards to be positive, but the term with the initial velocity is providing an upwards displacement, and so must be negative. (The point is since the two terms on the right are in different directions they must have different signs.) So this equation should be:

[tex]
\Delta h=\ -\sin\theta\ z\ \left(\frac{\Delta d}{\cos\theta\ z}\right)+\frac{1}{2}a \left(\frac{\Delta d}{\cos\theta\ z }\right)^2
[/tex]

The next problem occurs right after that, where you say:

[tex]
\tan\theta\ \Delta y -\Delta y = \Delta h
[/tex]
which is not correct based on the way you have defined [itex]\Delta y[/itex] and [itex]\Delta h[/itex]. If you look back at the diagram at the top of the page, what this equation is saying is

[tex]
y=\Delta y +\Delta h
[/tex]
Now y is a length, so it is a positive number. [itex]\Delta y[/itex] is the displacement of the target, and since it is moving downwards, that would be a positive number. But [itex]\Delta h[/itex] is the vertical displacement of the dart, and since that is upwards, that would be a negative number.

So if [itex]y[/itex] is some number like 8m, and [itex]\Delta y[/itex] is some number like 2m, then [itex]\Delta h[/itex] would be -6m. And so your equation above should be:

[tex]
\begin{align}
y&=\Delta y -\Delta h\nonumber\\
\tan\theta\ \Delta y -\Delta y &= \ -\Delta h\nonumber
\end{align}
[/tex]

(More mathematically we would say the lengths of these three add together, so that what we would actually use is absolute values:

[tex]
|y|=|\Delta y| +|\Delta h|
[/tex]
and then since [itex]\Delta h[/itex] is negative, [itex]|\Delta h|=\ -\Delta h[/itex].)

Once you make these changes, I think you'll see that all the terms cancel out in the line immediate below where you have a circled 1 in your work.

Last edited by a moderator:

First of all, great job on solving the problem with the given numbers! It's always important to check your work and make sure it aligns with the expected outcome.

Now, let's take a look at where you went wrong in solving the problem without numbers. In your work, you have correctly identified the initial horizontal velocity (Vx) as 24 m/s and the initial vertical velocity (Vy) as 16.6 m/s. However, when you substitute these values into the equation for the horizontal distance (x = Vx*t), you have used the initial velocity for both the horizontal and vertical components. This is incorrect, as the horizontal velocity remains constant throughout the motion, while the vertical velocity changes due to the force of gravity.

To correct this, you need to use the time (t) that it takes for the dart to reach the target, which can be found by setting the vertical displacement (y) equal to the height of the target. This gives us the equation y = Vy*t + (1/2)*a*t^2, where a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2). Solving for t, we get t = (Vy +/- sqrt(Vy^2 - 4*(1/2)*a*y))/a. Since the dart will hit the target at the same time regardless of its initial vertical velocity, we can choose either the positive or negative solution.

Substituting this value of t into the equation for horizontal distance, we get x = Vx*((Vy +/- sqrt(Vy^2 - 4*(1/2)*a*y))/a). Simplifying this equation, we get x = Vx*Vy/a, which is the same equation you used to solve the problem with numbers.

Therefore, we can see that the dart will always hit the target because the time it takes to reach the target is dependent only on the initial vertical velocity and the height of the target, not on the initial horizontal velocity or the horizontal distance. This means that even if the dart is launched at a different angle or with a different initial velocity, it will still hit the target at the same time and therefore at the same horizontal distance. This is why the equation x = Vx*Vy/a will always hold true for this scenario.

1. How is the trajectory of a dart determined?

The trajectory of a dart is determined by a combination of factors such as the angle of release, the initial velocity, and air resistance. These factors can be calculated using mathematical equations and models.

2. What is the equation for calculating the trajectory of a dart?

The equation for calculating the trajectory of a dart is y = x * tan(theta) - (g * x^2)/(2 * v^2 * cos^2(theta)), where y is the vertical distance, x is the horizontal distance, theta is the angle of release, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and v is the initial velocity.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a dart?

Air resistance can cause a decrease in the velocity of the dart, which in turn affects the trajectory. It also creates a force opposite to the direction of motion, causing the dart to deviate from its intended path.

4. What is the role of trigonometry in proving the trajectory of a dart?

Trigonometry is used to analyze the angles and distances involved in the trajectory of a dart. It helps in determining the initial angle of release and predicting the path of the dart based on mathematical principles.

5. Can the trajectory of a dart be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as wind, air density, and surface friction can affect the trajectory of a dart. These factors can be accounted for in the mathematical models used to calculate the trajectory.