Dartmouth Extended Laplace Tables -- Not general enough? item26.a

In summary: I was trying to figure out why when I made this post.In summary, the homework statement says that:- a nonzero initial condition is needed- underdamped system: |z| < 1- alpha is found by taking the laplace transform of the equation- when alpha is replaced with (vo+2*z*wn*xo)/xo, the magnitude of the equation is inconsistent
ltkach2015

Homework Statement

[/B]
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sullivan/22files/New%20Laplace%20Transform%20Table.pdf
(see item 26a)

homogenous solution to underdamped in amplitude phase form: (see attached image)

2. Relevant info

- non zero initial conditions: x(t=0) = xo AND dx/dt(t=0) = vo
- unforced motion: F(t) = 0
- second order dynamic system (1DOF & in one dimension x)
- ODE and final solution is written in terms of damping ratios (z), and natural frequencies (wn)
- damping frequency: wd = wn*sqrt(1-z^2)
-Underdamped system: |z| < 1

The Attempt at a Solution

-Given
d^2x/dt^2 + 2*z*wn*dx/dt + wn^2*x = 0

-Now I take laplace

[X(s)*s^2 - s*xo - vo] + 2*z*wn*[X(s)*s - xo] + wn^2*X(s) = 0

-Algebra

X(s) (s^2+2*z*wn*s+wn^2) = s*xo + vo + 2*z*wn*xo

-Solving for X(s)

X(s) = [s*xo + vo + 2*z*wn*xo] / [s^2 + 2*z*wn*s + wn^2]

More algebra so that I may use item 26a in the extended Laplace tables

X(s) = xo*[ s + (vo+2*z*wn*xo)/xo ] / [s^2+2*z*wn*s+wn^2]I will define alpha (as listed in the Extended Laplace Table item 26a):

alpha = (vo+2*z*wn*xo)/xo

When I directly apply this formula from the Extended Laplace Tables I get an inconsistent answer (see attached)

Just looking at the Magnitude (magnitude is off)

sqrt{ [( alpha/wn - z*wn )^2] / (1-z^2) + 1 }

Replacing alpha with (vo+2*z*wn*xo)/xo

= sqrt{ [ [(vo+2*z*wn*xo)/xo)/wn - z*wn]^2/(1-z^2) + 1 }

Making common denominator, and making 1-z^2 = (wd/wn)^2

= sqrt{ [vo+2*z*wn*xo]/(xo*wn) - z*wn^2*xo/(xo*wn)]^2/ (wd/wn)^2 + 1}

Bringing up wd/wn into the square & notice wn and 1/wn cancel

Factor out 1/xo^2

= sqrt{ [vo+2*z*wn*xo] - z*wn^2*xo]^2/ (wd*xo)^2 + }

Making 1 have common denominator with other stuff

= sqrt{ [vo+2*z*wn*xo] - z*wn^2*xo]^2/ (xo*wd)^2 + 1*(xo*wd)^2/(xo*wd)^2 }

Factor out 1/(xo*wd)

= 1/(xo*wd)* sqrt{ [vo+2*z*wn*xo] - z*wn^2*xo]^2 + (xo*wd)^2}

This magnitude (just above) does not agree with the correct magnitude (next couple of lines) (can also see attached source):

= 1/(xo*wd)* sqrt{ [vo+2*z*wn*xo - z*wn*xo]^2 + (xo*wd)^2}

= 1/(xo*wd)* sqrt{ [vo+z*wn*xo ]^2 + (xo*wd)^2}

I believe that item 26a may not be general enough. As the z*wn term within the square that's within the square root should just be zQUESTION:

What's going on on here? Thank you.

Attachments

• item 26a.png
    item 26a.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Underdamped.png
    Underdamped.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm actually a little suspicious that the entry 26a in the table might not even be correct at all.

Unless I'm making a large mistake myself, here is my logic:

I suspect that the constant [itex] \alpha [/itex] should have dimensionality of [itex] \frac{1}{[\mathrm{time}]} [/itex]. (Again, that is if I'm not mistaken). If so, then one of the terms in 26a doesn't make sense to me: in particular, the part of term that is [itex] \frac{\alpha}{\omega_n} - \zeta \omega_n [/itex].

[itex] \omega_n [/itex] also has units of [itex] \frac{1}{[\mathrm{time}]} [/itex]. That makes [itex] \frac{\alpha}{\omega_n} [/itex] dimensionless (if I'm correct about [itex] \alpha [/itex]), and [itex] \zeta [/itex] is dimensionless. But that gives [itex] \zeta \omega_n [/itex] dimensionality of [itex] \frac{1}{[\mathrm{time}]} [/itex]. So that operation is subtracting a [itex] \frac{1}{[\mathrm{time}]} [/itex] value from a dimensionless number.

With that I conclude (or at least suspect) that something doesn't look right with 26a to me.

Yes I agree the dimensions do look off

1. What are Dartmouth Extended Laplace Tables?

Dartmouth Extended Laplace Tables are a collection of mathematical tables used to calculate the Laplace transform of a function. They were developed at Dartmouth College and are commonly used in engineering and science applications.

2. How are the tables organized?

The tables are organized by the Laplace variable, s, and the function type. Each table contains a list of equations and their corresponding Laplace transform values for a specific function type and range of s values.

3. What makes these tables different from other Laplace tables?

The "extended" in the name refers to the fact that these tables include more functions and a wider range of s values than traditional Laplace tables. This allows for more accurate and versatile calculations.

4. Are these tables suitable for all types of functions?

No, these tables are not general enough to cover all possible functions. They are designed for commonly used functions in engineering and science, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

5. Can I find these tables online?

Yes, the Dartmouth Extended Laplace Tables are available for purchase or can be accessed online through various educational and scientific websites. However, they may also be included in some textbooks or software packages for engineering and science applications.