Data Encryption Standard Confusion

In summary, the book discusses how to encrypt data using the Data Encryption Standard. It explains the different steps involved and provides examples.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
Confusions on what is actual DES
Relevant Equations
None
First I'll give some context about how the book's written as many books are presenting it in different ways.

P1WGHvxxDlwvRxVANl3aIXaceHPExeh44ele9kES8U_W0g3Cfg.png

VrwSmbdVyVd93i1L3wMyqjMTUClp22Q631pj416_9NkCmuzy8k.png
bafSFJ6u6FT7kj-wtQ39HZ26XYFDFn_CTfYvczCEj3KFxFBq1w.png

Oq0bmydZg002bs-pxUf7AVdlCg3ct7uF2_zT0n-35o8cpLUV7o.png

v3zKmmz0wAXs8AI2l61hViZ7SwDnUnEQQYKzsgM5qsDHnX-77o.png

Wxw_y0zxlehdSs3riGeL-8ZgOmVnUyet0ojJWBcnORREbB7HmA.png

Reference: CRYPTOGRAPHY AND INFORMATION SECURITY, THIRD EDITION
By PACHGHARE, V. K.

Confusions:

1) Why is Expansion Permutation called so? The name sounds very contrary to what what you'd expect a Expansion Permutation to do. You'd expect it to work like say 4:16 decoder.2) Why is Expansion Permutation done here? The number of bits remained the same. What's the difference? Or are we calling after discarding parity bits as "Expansion Permutation"?

3) Plus I'm reading some answers here and there. And I'm hearing that the information that I presented here is wrong.

4) One comment I saw in some other post is that, "(IP) and and (EP) are applied to the plaintext, not the key"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Encryption_Standard

According to it,

MpeeM7pZTzbXOUiI3SL85BLTmpwvMNYWyTfehTHBsM4D8V4R60.png

(this figure doesn't really illustrates anything that it claims below) Figure illustrates the key schedule for encryption—the algorithm which generates the subkeys. Initially, 56 bits of the key are selected from the initial 64 by Permuted Choice 1 (PC-1)—the remaining eight bits are either discarded or used as parity check bits. The 56 bits are then divided into two 28-bit halves; each half is thereafter treated separately. In successive rounds, both halves are rotated left by one or two bits (specified for each round), and then 48 subkey bits are selected by Permuted Choice 2 (PC-2)—24 bits from the left half, and 24 from the right. The rotations (denoted by "<<<" in the diagram) mean that a different set of bits is used in each subkey; each bit is used in approximately 14 out of the 16 subkeys.

Wikipedia vs my first source:

a) No initial permutation is done on key.

b) No expansion permutation is done

c) Only left shift happens, no right shift as shown in my first figure.There're some other sources which seem to be taken from wikipedia and sound similar to it. They're given follows.

Others:

1) https://www.lri.fr/~fmartignon/documenti/systemesecurite/4-DES.pdf

Go to page 19.

So, which one should I believe? I think WikiPedia should be believed as many are copying from it, but I'm not sure. Which version is correct according to the actual DES?
2)
A620wQrN6nEvqFcxdXPipIa2esClGhglUN2rDHt1Khb1N_eY0Y.png

Source: https://academic.csuohio.edu/yuc/security/Chapter_06_Data_Encription_Standard.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
1) Why is Expansion Permutation called so? The name sounds very contrary to what what you'd expect a Expansion Permutation to do. You'd expect it to work like say 4:16 decoder.

2) Why is Expansion Permutation done here? The number of bits remained the same. What's the difference? Or are we calling after discarding parity bits as "Expansion Permutation"?

3) Plus I'm reading some answers here and there. And I'm hearing that the information that I presented here is wrong.
It is called expansion because one stream of parallel key bits becomes two streams of parallel key bits, that travel separately. It is not related to the total number of bits.

Baluncore said:
It is called expansion because one stream of parallel key bits becomes two streams of parallel key bits, that travel separately. It is not related to the total number of bits.
Yes, I learned the definition of it, But it hasn't been used like that here, probably wrongly written book.

1. What is Data Encryption Standard Confusion?

Data Encryption Standard Confusion, also known as DES confusion, is a type of encryption technique used to protect sensitive data from being accessed by unauthorized parties. It involves using a secret key to scramble the data in a way that makes it unreadable without the key.

2. How does DES confusion work?

DES confusion works by using a secret key to perform mathematical operations on the data being encrypted. These operations are designed to make the encrypted data appear random and unintelligible to anyone without the key. The same key is used to decrypt the data, making it readable again.

3. Is DES confusion still considered a secure encryption method?

DES confusion was once considered a secure encryption method, but it has since been replaced by more advanced techniques such as AES (Advanced Encryption Standard). DES confusion is now considered outdated and vulnerable to attacks, and it is no longer recommended for use in sensitive data protection.

4. What are the potential weaknesses of DES confusion?

One of the main weaknesses of DES confusion is its use of a fixed-length key, which makes it vulnerable to brute force attacks. Additionally, DES confusion only uses a 56-bit key, which is considered too short by today's standards and can be easily cracked by modern computing technology.

5. Are there any alternatives to DES confusion?

Yes, there are many alternatives to DES confusion that offer stronger and more secure encryption. Some popular alternatives include AES, RSA, and Blowfish. These methods use longer keys and more complex algorithms, making them more difficult to crack and more suitable for protecting sensitive data.