Data Science and Systems Integration Blog Post

In summary, systems benefit from building bottom-up, not top-down. This is important to your point, because what I lose in my years of training is the ability to see data and a problem with new eyes. Once you know something, you can try to empathize with the mind of someone who doesn't know it but it is quite difficult. Even worse, you can be very unaware of the facts that you internally assume everyone must know yet they don't.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Really excited about this blog post by yours truly. Wineman Technology is going places!

Technology news on Phys.org
Interesting article!

I work with large amounts of data every day and would consider myself an expert in the field when considering the whole continuum of "Can't use a computer" to "Coding at Google". I grab data, clean it, join it, model it, and present it.

That is important to your point, because what I lose in my years of training is the ability to see data and a problem with new eyes. Once you know something, you can try to empathize with the mind of someone who doesn't know it but it is quite difficult. Even worse, you can be very unaware of the facts that you internally assume everyone must know yet they don't.

So I fully agree with you that systems benefit from building bottom-up, not top-down. Some guidance is helpful but too much will leave the end user clueless and frustrated.

Jameson said:
Interesting article!

I work with large amounts of data every day and would consider myself an expert in the field when considering the whole continuum of "Can't use a computer" to "Coding at Google". I grab data, clean it, join it, model it, and present it.

That is important to your point, because what I lose in my years of training is the ability to see data and a problem with new eyes. Once you know something, you can try to empathize with the mind of someone who doesn't know it but it is quite difficult.

Yeah, yeah. Total nerd. I get it. ;)

Jameson said:
Even worse, you can be very unaware of the facts that you internally assume everyone must know yet they don't.

So I fully agree with you that systems benefit from building bottom-up, not top-down.

I'm a hair puzzled. I thought I was advocating for a top-down design approach, which is simply what a typical statistics textbook will tell you. If you have an hypothesis at hand (big question, in the parlance of my blog post), then you can design the system that generates the data that, once analyzed, answers the hypothesis or question. Isn't that a top-down design approach? It is considered "cheating", is it not, to use the same data to generate an hypothesis as well as to test it?

Jameson said:
Some guidance is helpful but too much will leave the end user clueless and frustrated.

I'm very curious what you mean here. Are you talking about achieving that difficult-to-achieve balance in documentation between conciseness and adequacy?

Cheers!

By the way, I LOVE THE QUOTE-BREAKER!

1. What is data science and systems integration?

Data science is a field that involves using scientific methods, processes, algorithms, and systems to extract knowledge and insights from data in various forms, both structured and unstructured. Systems integration, on the other hand, is the process of connecting different systems and technologies to work together seamlessly. When combined, data science and systems integration refer to the use of data science principles to integrate different systems and technologies to improve data analysis and decision-making.

2. Why is data science and systems integration important?

Data science and systems integration are essential for businesses and organizations as they help in making data-driven decisions and improving operational efficiency. By integrating various systems and technologies, data can be collected, analyzed, and leveraged to gain valuable insights and make informed decisions. This can lead to improved processes, increased productivity, and better customer experiences.

3. What are the key components of data science and systems integration?

The key components of data science and systems integration include data collection, data storage and management, data analysis and modeling, and data visualization. Data is collected from various sources and stored in databases or data warehouses. It is then analyzed using statistical and machine learning techniques to extract insights, which are then visualized through dashboards or reports.

4. What are the challenges of data science and systems integration?

Some of the challenges of data science and systems integration include data quality and data compatibility issues, integration complexities, and security concerns. It can also be challenging to find and hire skilled data scientists and integration experts. Additionally, integrating legacy systems with newer technologies can be a challenge, and it is important to have a well-defined strategy and plan in place.

5. How can organizations benefit from implementing data science and systems integration?

Organizations can benefit in several ways from implementing data science and systems integration. They can gain valuable insights from their data, make data-driven decisions, improve operational efficiency, and enhance customer experiences. This can lead to increased revenue, cost savings, and a competitive advantage in the market. Additionally, organizations can also identify new opportunities and improve overall business performance by leveraging data science and systems integration.