Davison-Germer experiment - Bragg condition

In summary: If you only have one atom in a plane, and you scatter light off of that atom, then the path difference will be different than zero, and the scattered light will not interfere constructively.In summary, the Bragg condition for constructive interference states that the wavelength of the scattered light is equal to the wavelength of the incident light, provided that the distance between the atoms in the crystal is small compared to the wavelength of the incident light.
Strides
Hey,

I'm trying to adapt the Bragg condition for the David-Germer experiment, so I can then use their experimental results to show that the measured wavelength is compatible to the wavelength theorized by De Broglie. However I'm having issue with the calculation, any help would be much appreciated.

Starting with the Bragg condition for constructive interference:

$$nλ = 2d sin(θ)$$

If D denotes the spacing of the atoms in the crystal, where:

$$d = Dsinα$$

with: α = π/2 - θB

where the scattering angle is:

θ = 2α

Then, somehow the Bragg condition becomes:

$$nλ = Dsin(θ) $$

Maybe I'm just forgetting some obscure trig identities but I just can't seem to get the final result.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the Bragg scattering, there are two conditions that get satisfied: 1) From the individual crystal planes, angle of incidence =angle of reflection 2) The reflected wave from adjacent crystal planes constructively interferes, so that ## n \lambda=2D \sin{\theta} ## , where ##\theta ## is the angle of incidence measured from the plane of these crystal planes, (and not from the normal to these planes). ## \\ ## The ##d ## you have is ## d=D \sin{\theta} ##, is the extra path distance the beam travels on just one side of being incident and then reflected from the adjacent crystal plane. Total extra path distance is ## 2 d ##.If you do a little trigonometry, and compute how much the scattered peak gets deflected relative to the incident beam, that angle is ## \theta_B=2 \theta ##. It would be easier to show with a diagram, but I don't know how to use Powerpoint very well. Here's a "link" that did it for me: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/imgqua/bragglaw.gif&imgrefurl=http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/bragg.html&h=205&w=431&tbnid=OthoXYdSpI9wWM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=211&usg=__zzkvTLwMgFGUOjWDHBA7QGbRrxQ=&vet=10ahUKEwi71uCri-DYAhUDMqwKHRBmC2AQ9QEIKzAA..i&docid=fznSJo6pR1Vl4M&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi71uCri-DYAhUDMqwKHRBmC2AQ9QEIKzAA (The small ## d ## in the "link" is your large ## D ##).

Last edited:
Likes Strides
It should be mentioned that the first condition, that angle of incidence is equal to the reflected angle, makes it so that the scattered light off of each of the atoms in a single plane makes them all constructively interfere with each other by making the path difference equal to zero for the scattered light from each of those atoms of the same plane.

1. What is the Davison-Germer experiment?

The Davison-Germer experiment, also known as the electron diffraction experiment, was conducted in 1927 by Clinton Davisson and Lester Germer to prove the wave-like nature of electrons.

2. What is the Bragg condition in the Davison-Germer experiment?

The Bragg condition is a mathematical relationship between the angle of incidence and the spacing of crystal lattice planes, which must be met in order to observe a diffraction pattern in the Davison-Germer experiment.

3. How does the Davison-Germer experiment demonstrate the wave-particle duality of electrons?

The experiment showed that electrons, which were previously thought to be particles, could also exhibit wave-like behavior by producing a diffraction pattern similar to light waves passing through a diffraction grating. This demonstrated the dual nature of electrons as both particles and waves.

4. What is the significance of the Davison-Germer experiment?

The experiment provided direct evidence for the wave-like nature of electrons and helped to solidify the concept of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics. It also paved the way for further research and discoveries in the field of quantum physics.

5. What other experiments have been inspired by the Davison-Germer experiment?

The Davison-Germer experiment has inspired many other experiments, including the double-slit experiment, which also demonstrates the wave-particle duality of particles. It has also influenced the development of electron microscopy and diffraction techniques used in various fields of science and technology.