DC-AC Inverter for light loads

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of finding a suitable UPS for an alarm system that operates on a light load. Various options such as increasing battery capacity and using a pure sine wave inverter are mentioned, but it is noted that pure sine wave inverters can be expensive. The suggestion of using a cheaper inverter that is stable on light loads is also brought up, and a specific model is recommended. However, it is mentioned that if the issue lies with the alarm panel being intolerant to a harmonic-rich power source, this inverter may not be suitable.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have an alarm system that I would like to put on a UPS. Problem is the UPS that I've tried aren't very happy on the light load presented by the alarm. The power consumption is virtually zero unless the alarm is sounding. I think this is causing the UPS I have to generate a lot of noise that's messing with the alarm panel.

The panel operates from a 220VAC to 9VAC mains adaptor. I've looked at a few options such as increasing the battery capacity in the alarm panel itself and feeding the panel something like 12-13V DC (which should go through it's bridge rectifier) but these introduce other problems.

So what I'm looking for ideally is a 12V DC to 220V AC pure sine wave inverter that is stable on loads from 0 to say 50W. Do such things exist as I can't find one that specifically refers to light load operation.

An alternative would be a 12V DC to 9VAC pure sine wave inverter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The class of UPS you need is called 'home network battery backup', like the BGE50/70/90 series.
I'm sure it exists for 220V too.

Pure sine is going to be expensive.

This el-cheapo inverter will be happy at light load. Here in US it's under twenty bucks at Walmart, surely there's a 220 volt version in your country.
https://smedia3.webcollage.net/0144...WSLYKQ&Signature=DBWkz5FQCSQVUd3V1+LODFnYkvo=

If the problem is in your alarm panel, ie it's intolerant of a harmonic-rich power source, this inverter won't do your job. A snip from the manual:

upload_2017-3-11_8-29-9.png

What is a DC-AC inverter for light loads?

A DC-AC inverter for light loads is a device that converts direct current (DC) electricity into alternating current (AC) electricity, which is used to power light loads such as small appliances, electronic devices, and lighting fixtures.

How does a DC-AC inverter for light loads work?

A DC-AC inverter uses electronic components, such as transistors and capacitors, to convert the DC input voltage into a high-frequency AC output voltage. The AC voltage is then stepped up or down using a transformer to the desired level for the light load.

What are the benefits of using a DC-AC inverter for light loads?

One of the main benefits of using a DC-AC inverter for light loads is its ability to convert DC power from sources such as batteries or solar panels into usable AC power. This allows for portable and off-grid power solutions. Additionally, DC-AC inverters are typically more efficient and produce cleaner power compared to traditional AC-DC adapters.

What are the different types of DC-AC inverters for light loads?

There are three main types of DC-AC inverters for light loads: square wave, modified sine wave, and pure sine wave. Square wave inverters are the most basic and have a simple on/off output. Modified sine wave inverters have a more complex output that mimics a sine wave, while pure sine wave inverters produce a smooth and clean AC waveform similar to that of household power.

What should I consider when choosing a DC-AC inverter for light loads?

When choosing a DC-AC inverter for light loads, consider the wattage and voltage requirements of your specific light loads. You should also consider the type of waveform and efficiency of the inverter, as well as any additional features such as overload protection and built-in cooling fans.