DC bias current and small-signal resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the diode equation and its derivatives, specifically the calculation of the voltage and current values. Differentiation is used to determine the impedance and a discrepancy in the final result is noted, possibly due to significant figures.
JessicaHelena
Homework Statement
Consider the diode D_1 shown in Fig 7-1.

The diode is a non-linear device with the following I-V characteristics:

##i_D = I_S \cdot (e^{\frac{v_D}{v_{TH}} - 1)##

where i_D is the current through the diode, I_S is the reverse bias saturation current, v_D is the voltage across the diode, and V_TH is the thermal voltage. Assume ##I_S = 8*10^{-12}## and ##V_{TH} = 20mV##.

Although the diode is a non-linear device, it can be modeled as a resistor for small signals. Calculate the numerical value of the DC bias current I_D in mA such that its small-signal resistance is 5 Ohms.
Relevant Equations
iD = ID + id
(i.e., total variable iD = DC output ID + small signal id)

also,
##I_D + \delta i_D \approx## (iD evaluated at v_D) + (derivative of iD evaluated at v_D)*##\delta v_D##
##I_D = ## (iD evaluated at v_D)
##\delta i_D = ## (derivative of iD evaluated at v_D) *##\delta v_D##
We are given that ##i_D = 8\cdot 10^{-12} (e^{v_D/20m} - 1)##

Hence ##i_D' = e^{50 v_D}/2500000000## and ##i_D'' = e^{50 v_D}/50000000##

Then I have that ##\delta i_D \approx\frac{ e^{50 v_D}}{2500000000} \cdot \delta v_D = \delta v_D / 5## Cancelling ##\delta v_D## from boh sides and solving for the v_D, I have that ##v_D = 0.400602##.

Plugging this value into the original function for iD, I can get I_D, which gives me 0.004. However, this is not right. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 8.49.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 8.49.36 PM.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 180
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't go through your calculation in detail, but I'd be inclined to manipulate the diode equation to get Vd as a function of Id, and differentiate to get the impedance, then substitute in the point Id = 20mA...

[tex]Z(Vd) = \frac{dVd}{dId}[/tex]

Or just differentiate the ##I_D## function w.r.t. ##V_D##. Conductance is the reciprocal of resistance.

Likes berkeman
@JessicaHelena : is it possible that you're running into significant figures issues when entering your results? It looks like your ##I_S## value is only specified to one sig fig.

Edit: I ask because I've run the calculations and come up with results that match yours. So I have to wonder where the underlying issue lies.

Last edited:

What is DC bias current?

DC bias current is the steady current flowing through a device or circuit, typically expressed in units of amperes (A). This current is not affected by changes in the input signal and is used to bias the device or circuit into its desired operating point.

What is small-signal resistance?

Small-signal resistance is the resistance of a device or circuit when a small input signal is applied. It is typically measured in units of ohms (Ω) and is used to determine the sensitivity and linearity of a device or circuit.

How does DC bias current affect small-signal resistance?

DC bias current can affect the small-signal resistance of a device or circuit by changing its operating point. This can result in a change in the device's resistance and therefore its sensitivity and linearity. In some cases, a higher DC bias current can decrease the small-signal resistance, while a lower DC bias current can increase it.

Why is it important to consider DC bias current and small-signal resistance in circuit design?

DC bias current and small-signal resistance are important factors to consider in circuit design because they can greatly impact the performance and reliability of a device or circuit. Improperly chosen values for these parameters can result in distortion, instability, and other issues.

How can DC bias current and small-signal resistance be controlled in a circuit?

DC bias current and small-signal resistance can be controlled in a circuit by using biasing techniques, such as voltage dividers or biasing resistors, to set the proper operating point. Additionally, the choice of components, such as transistors or amplifiers, can also affect these parameters and should be carefully considered during circuit design.