DCQE Question on Purpose of Glan Thompson Prisms

• Thread starter daniel29209
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dcqe
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the Kim et al DCQE experiment and the use of a Glan Thompson prism to split orthogonally polarized signal and idler photons. The conversation also touches on the differences in polarizations in type II phase matching and the potential for spatial separation caused by the GT-prism. The conversation concludes with a request for a photo of the original experiment, which is not readily available.
daniel29209
I have a question regarding Kim et al DCQE experiment: http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9903047v1 (also found at wikipedia.org). I have seen a number of (very) different schematics of the experiment. The best one reviewed by Dr. Kim is at: bottomlayer.com/bottom/kim-scully/kim-scully-web.htm However, I still do not get the Glan Thompson Prism (Prisms? I have seen both one or two in schematics). In the original paper the authors say, "A Glen-Thompson prism is used to split the orthogonally polarized signal and idler." Is this to say that all the "signal" photons are of the same polarization as are all the "idler" That is to say, are all the photons in the signal path "p" polarization, and all the idler path "s" polarization?
P.S. Is there a photo of the original experiment anywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to these forums.

daniel29209 said:
The best one reviewed by Dr. Kim is at: bottomlayer.com/bottom/kim-scully/kim-scully-web.htm

Be careful with that site. Many of the claims there are quite off the track.

daniel29209 said:
However, I still do not get the Glan Thompson Prism (Prisms? I have seen both one or two in schematics). In the original paper the authors say, "A Glen-Thompson prism is used to split the orthogonally polarized signal and idler." Is this to say that all the "signal" photons are of the same polarization as are all the "idler" That is to say, are all the photons in the signal path "p" polarization, and all the idler path "s" polarization?

In type II phase matching the two emitted photons have different polarizations. The Glen-Thompson prism is just a polarizing beam splitter which sends photons of one polarization one way and photons of the other polarization the other direction. Therefore the GT-prism causes spatial separation of the two polarizations and "divides" the photons into signal photons going one way and idler photons going the other way.

daniel29209 said:
P.S. Is there a photo of the original experiment anywhere?

I am not aware of one.

Thanks that helps...

What is the purpose of Glan Thompson prisms?

Glan Thompson prisms are used to polarize light by separating it into two beams with perpendicular polarizations. This is useful in many optical experiments and devices, such as polarimeters, interferometers, and lasers.

How do Glan Thompson prisms work?

Glan Thompson prisms are made of two pieces of calcite crystal that are joined together with an air gap in between. When light enters the prism, it is split into two beams with different polarizations. The beams then travel through the crystal at different speeds and are recombined when they exit the prism.

What are the advantages of using Glan Thompson prisms?

Glan Thompson prisms have a high degree of polarization efficiency, meaning they can produce very pure polarized light. They are also durable and have a wide spectral range, making them useful for a variety of applications.

Are there any limitations to using Glan Thompson prisms?

One limitation of Glan Thompson prisms is that they are sensitive to temperature changes and mechanical stress. This can cause the polarization of the light to change, leading to inaccuracies in experiments. They also have limited transmission efficiency, meaning some light is lost during polarization.

How are Glan Thompson prisms different from other types of polarizers?

Glan Thompson prisms are similar to other types of polarizers, such as Glan Taylor prisms and Wollaston prisms, in that they all use birefringent materials to polarize light. However, Glan Thompson prisms have a higher polarization efficiency and wider spectral range compared to other types of prisms.