De Broglie wavelength of a train

In summary, the conversation discusses the de Broglie wavelength of a train traveling on parallel tracks and the conditions necessary for quantum effects and interference patterns to be observed. The de Broglie wavelength is derived using the train's momentum and the uncertainty principle is used to determine the necessary conditions for the interference pattern to be observable. The conversation also mentions the need for further calculations to determine the velocity of the train in this quantum regime.
ConorDMK

Homework Statement

Imagine you are traveling in a train, and see in the distance how the train path splits into two parallel tracks separated by a distance d.1) Obtain an analytical expression of the de Broglie wavelength of the train.

2) What condition would you use to determine at what point quantum effects become important (i.e. when the interference pattern could be observed)? Remember to discuss the assumptions you have made, and the meaning of these quantum effects, i.e. think on what you would have to observe

3. Using this condition, estimate the velocity the train must be going to
reach this quantum regime. Hint: plug reasonable numbers for the
mass and distance between tracks. What can you conclude?

Homework Equations

I'm not entirely sure with these

1) p=mv
p is momentum, m is mass and v is velocity

KE=p2/(2m)

KE is kinetics energy

λ=h/p=h/(2m(KE))0.5

λ is the de Broglie wavelength, h is Planck's constant

ΔdΔp≥0.5ħ

d is the distance between the two parallel tracks, h bar is the reduced Planck's constant

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
I decided to simplify the situation down to a two-slit experiment, with the train as a particle and the split in the tracks as two slits. I also decided to place a detector wall at distance 'L' from the slits so that the interference pattern could be seen with the separation of the maxima being 'x' so that

λ/d=x/L

As above, I said that the train has a momentum,

p=mv=(2m(KE))0.5

so that its de Broglie wavelength is

λ=h/p=h/(2m(KE))0.5

I stated (Possibly incorrectly) that ΔdΔp≥0.5ħ and that Δd≈0.5d
⇒ 0.5dΔp≥0.5ħ
⇒ Δp≥ħ/d
⇒ 2πdΔp≥h

and so that λ≈(2πdΔp)/p
or by order of magnitude λ≈(dΔp)/p

2)
The interference pattern will be observable when the wavelength of light incident of the train is greater than the separation of the slits (Tracks). The train will then be able to behave as a wave of probabilities and cause an interference pattern that will be picked up be the detector wall.

But the interference pattern may not be observable, because the maxima separation may be too small to be observable,

λ/d=x/L≈Δp/p

so the train must be traveling slow enough for the interference pattern to be observable; as the momentum decreases, the maxima separation increases, providing Δp, d and L remain constant.

3)
I have not yet attempted this, as it requires parts 1 and 2 to be completed and correct.

No it's ok, I just forgot one little thing from AS Physics, but I have done it now.

What is the De Broglie wavelength of a train?

The De Broglie wavelength of a train is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the wavelength associated with a macroscopic object, such as a train. It is calculated using the train's mass and velocity according to the equation: λ = h/mv, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the train, and v is its velocity.

Why is the De Broglie wavelength of a train important?

The De Broglie wavelength of a train is important because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that even massive objects, such as a train, can exhibit wave-like properties and have a corresponding wavelength.

Can the De Broglie wavelength of a train be observed?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength of a train can be observed through experiments such as electron diffraction. In these experiments, the train is accelerated to high velocities and its wavelength can be measured using diffraction patterns. However, due to the extremely small wavelength of a train, it is not possible to observe it directly with the naked eye.

How does the velocity of a train affect its De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength of a train is inversely proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity of the train increases, its wavelength decreases. This relationship is consistent with the wave-particle duality of matter, as objects with higher velocities have a shorter wavelength, similar to high frequency waves.

Can the De Broglie wavelength of a train be changed?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength of a train can be changed by altering its mass or velocity. If the mass or velocity of the train is increased, its wavelength will decrease. Conversely, if the mass or velocity is decreased, the wavelength will increase. This can be seen in the equation, where a change in mass or velocity will result in a corresponding change in the wavelength.