De Broglie wavelength of an electron

In summary: K = (1/2)mv^2##. If the answer is not relativistic, then you can use the relativistic energy equation. However, if the answer is relativistic, then you need to use the alpha particle's rest energy instead of the electron's.To be precise, the rest energy of an alpha is 3.727 GeV, so 2 MeV kinetic energy increases that to 3.729 GeV total energy. If you want to use the relativistic formula, the increase is a factor of 3.729/3.727 = 1.00054 = ##1/\sqrt{1-\beta^2}##
Cay
I'm reposting this thread with some editing suggested by fresh_42:

1. Homework Statement

Calculate the mass, velocity and the de Broglie wavelength of an electron and an alpha particle, given the kinetic energy K = 2MeV

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

please find attached![/B]

I went through my calculations again and I think I have one problem in determining the formula of relativistic kinetic energy. What I used is: E = m*c^2, where m - the effective mass of the electron. I'm afraid I should've used
E = m*c^2 - m0*c^2, where m = m0/sqrt(1-β^2). Is that correct?

Attachments

• IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct about the error. I prefer to use ##m## to refer to the invariant (rest) mass, but to avoid confusion I'll stick with your notation and terminology. So ##K = mc^2 - m_0c^2## or ##(m - m_0)c^2##.

Or you could just say the total energy is 2 MeV plus the rest energy of the electron, 0.511 MeV. So then ##mc^2 = 2.51## MeV. Go through all the same steps but using that value of total energy rather than the 2 MeV.

Likes Cay
RPinPA said:
You're correct about the error. I prefer to use ##m## to refer to the invariant (rest) mass, but to avoid confusion I'll stick with your notation and terminology. So ##K = mc^2 - m_0c^2## or ##(m - m_0)c^2##.

Or you could just say the total energy is 2 MeV plus the rest energy of the electron, 0.511 MeV. So then ##mc^2 = 2.51## MeV. Go through all the same steps but using that value of total energy rather than the 2 MeV.
Thank you for replying!
However, if I apply the relativistic energy formula also for the alpha particle, I get that effective mass is approximately the same as the rest mass. So I would get that β=0, which is not possible. What am I doing wrong?

Cay said:
Thank you for replying!
However, if I apply the relativistic energy formula also for the alpha particle, I get that effective mass is approximately the same as the rest mass. So I would get that β=0, which is not possible. What am I doing wrong?

An alpha particle is two protons and two neutrons, each of which has a rest energy of approximately 1 GeV. So 2 MeV is a very small fraction of the rest energy and this particle is not relativistic. Use the low-velocity formula ##K = (1/2)mv^2##.

To be precise, the rest energy of an alpha is 3.727 GeV, so 2 MeV kinetic energy increases that to 3.729 GeV total energy. If you want to use the relativistic formula, the increase is a factor of 3.729/3.727 = 1.00054 = ##1/\sqrt{1-\beta^2}##. ##\beta## is indeed close to zero, meaning as I said this is not a relativistic particle and it is moving at a small fraction of ##c##.

In contrast, the electron has a total energy of 2.5 MeV which is nearly 5 times its rest energy, so that is definitely a relativistic particle.

It's often a good idea to first do a sanity check to see "is this a relativistic particle or not?"

What is the De Broglie wavelength of an electron?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron is a physical concept that describes the wave-like behavior of an electron. It is the wavelength associated with the momentum of an electron and is given by the equation λ = h/mv, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity of the electron.

How is the De Broglie wavelength of an electron different from its classical counterpart?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron is different from its classical counterpart in that it takes into account the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level. While classical physics treats electrons as particles with a fixed position and momentum, quantum mechanics considers them to have wave-like properties and describes their behavior using probability distributions. The De Broglie wavelength is a manifestation of this wave-particle duality.

What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength of an electron?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron has significant implications in the field of quantum mechanics. It helps explain various phenomena such as electron diffraction, which is the bending of electron waves as they pass through a narrow slit. It also plays a crucial role in the development of the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

How does the speed of an electron affect its De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron is inversely proportional to its velocity. This means that as the speed of an electron increases, its wavelength decreases. This relationship is consistent with the principle of wave-particle duality, where particles with higher momentum exhibit more wave-like behavior and have shorter wavelengths.

Can the De Broglie wavelength of an electron be measured?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength of an electron can be measured using various experimental techniques such as electron diffraction or electron microscopy. These methods involve passing electrons through a material and observing the diffraction pattern or the resolution of the image, which is directly related to the De Broglie wavelength of the electrons.