De broglies wavlength and energy

• Thread starter SpartanG345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, de Broglie's equation and the equation E=hf are related to the wavelength and energy of particles. However, the energy obtained from de Broglie's equation does not always equal the kinetic energy of the particle, which may be due to the fact that E=hf only applies to zero mass particles like photons. This insight was discovered by de Broglie while drinking beer in a pub and suggests that waves have momentum and particles have wavelength.
SpartanG345
I am having a little trouble understanding de Broglies equation and wavelength and it relation ship with energy

Eq1.jpg

by E=hf and debroglies equation the above equation will get the energy of the particle
i did an example and i found this energy does not = the Kinetic energy of the particle, infact it was smaller

why is this

I thought E = hf only applies to zero mass particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is from high school physics (I finished my physics degree 30 some years ago). De Broglie's insight, found while drinking beer in a pub, was that perhaps waves have momentum p = h/λ and particles have wavelength λ = h/p. I don't think E=hf applies to anything other than photons.

De Broglie's equation and wavelength are important concepts in quantum mechanics that help us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. The equation, λ = h/mv, relates the wavelength (λ) of a particle to its momentum (mv) and Planck's constant (h). This suggests that all particles, regardless of their mass, have a wave-like nature and exhibit wave-like properties such as wavelength.

The equation E = hf, known as the Planck-Einstein relation, relates the energy (E) of a particle to its frequency (f) and Planck's constant (h). This equation applies to all particles, including those with mass. However, it is important to note that this equation gives the total energy of a particle, including its rest energy and its kinetic energy.

In your example, you found that the energy calculated using E = hf was smaller than the kinetic energy of the particle. This is because the equation takes into account the rest energy of the particle, which is a constant value and cannot be changed. The kinetic energy, on the other hand, can vary depending on the velocity of the particle.

It is important to understand that de Broglie's equation and the Planck-Einstein relation are not contradictory. They simply describe different aspects of a particle's behavior. De Broglie's equation helps us understand the wave-like nature of particles, while the Planck-Einstein relation helps us calculate their total energy.

I hope this helps clarify the relationship between de Broglie's wavelength and energy. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is the concept behind De Broglie's wavelength and energy?

De Broglie's wavelength and energy are based on the idea that all particles, not just light, have both wave-like and particle-like properties. This means that particles, such as electrons, can also exhibit wave-like behavior and have a corresponding wavelength and energy associated with them.

2. How is De Broglie's wavelength calculated?

The wavelength of a particle, such as an electron, can be calculated using the De Broglie equation: λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

3. What is the significance of De Broglie's wavelength and energy?

De Broglie's wavelength and energy provide a way to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They also help explain phenomena such as diffraction and interference, which were previously thought to only occur with waves.

4. How does De Broglie's wavelength and energy relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum and vice versa. De Broglie's wavelength and energy are related to momentum, so the uncertainty principle shows that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we know its wavelength and energy.

5. Can De Broglie's wavelength and energy be observed in everyday objects?

No, De Broglie's wavelength and energy are only observable at the quantum level. For everyday objects, the wavelength and energy are so small that they cannot be detected or measured. These concepts only apply to particles with very small masses, such as electrons and protons.