Death by light saber - YouTube video

In summary, the video describes how a light saber would work and how it would be painful if hit by one. The assumptions made at 1:15 and 1:30 are wrong, and the light saber has an extremely sharp cutting edge. The glow and cauterizing is just from energy released by the ions as they recombine. The handle itself is the most powerful object in the universe alone, even more powerful than Death Star considering its size.
scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I came across this YouTube video describing some of the "science" behind light sabers, and what it would be like to be hit with one. I thought it was worth sharing.

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to add tags. Is there a way to do that after posting?

scottdave said:
I came across this YouTube video describing
Takes the fun out of to say the least. if one can say being wacked by a light saber is fun.

scottdave said:
I forgot to add tags. Is there a way to do that after posting?
Next to "Tags," don't you see a "Add Tags" link?

DrClaude said:
Next to "Tags," don't you see a "Add Tags" link?
Thanks, I found it.

I think "worse" should be changed to "dramatic". In the video it sounds like light saber hits would result in an instant and painless death depending on where you got hit. Compared to being cut in half by a broad sword.

Likes Spitfire and scottdave
Come on, this is not really scientific in the same way as trying to build a car or plane out of bricks and clay.

I think his assumptions at 1:15 and 1:30 are wrong. The light saber has an extremely sharp cutting cutting edge. The glowing plasma is molecules that have been cut into smaller pieces. The glow and cauterizing is just from energy released by the ions as they recombine.

Also by conservation of energy the light saber draws energy out of the surroundings. The rest of the room would feel colder in direct proportion to the energy needed to separate molecules at the edge of the blade.

How do you constrain plasma into a sword-like shape like ICRT does and generate enough power like a nuclear sub with a handle?the handle itself is the most powerful object in the universe alone, even more powerful than Death Star considering its size.

Last edited:
Don't know about light sabres but did come across a tale many years ago in which the protagonist used a molecular thin cord as a weapon.
The idea was to fix it across doorway etc, so that when the "baddies' came in it would slice them to bits. Had to have special gloves to handle it though! Neat idea for a booby trap! would have to remember to take it down though.

Spiders have been laying thin threads across access paths for ages, but the thread always seems to break when a large animal comes lumbering through.
Out of necessity for capturing prey, they instead opted for the next best, a web, and catch small insects.

profbuxton said:
Don't know about light sabres but did come across a tale many years ago in which the protagonist used a molecular thin cord as a weapon.
The idea was to fix it across doorway etc, so that when the "baddies' came in it would slice them to bits. Had to have special gloves to handle it though! Neat idea for a booby trap! would have to remember to take it down though.
Hmm, perhaps you have not seen Resident Evil . . . ;)

1. What exactly is "Death by light saber"?

"Death by light saber" refers to a popular YouTube video that showcases a fictional scenario in which a person is killed by a lightsaber, a weapon from the Star Wars franchise. The video is a creative and humorous portrayal of this scenario.

2. Is the video based on any scientific evidence?

No, the video is purely fictional and not based on any scientific evidence. It is meant to be a humorous and entertaining portrayal of a hypothetical scenario.

3. Are light sabers real weapons?

No, light sabers are fictional weapons from the Star Wars franchise. They are not real and do not exist in the real world.

4. Can a person really be killed by a light saber?

No, a person cannot be killed by a light saber as they are not real weapons. The video is purely fictional and not based on any scientific evidence.

5. Is the video appropriate for all ages?

The video may contain some violence and is not suitable for young children. It is recommended for mature audiences who can understand the fictional and humorous nature of the video.