Death of a car battery and related issues

In summary, our car's battery was declared "dead" by the service personnel. The battery was not used for a month, and it seems that the voltage may have dropped a bit. The service personnel said that the readings were "bad". I don't know what "bad" means, but I assume it is not good. My father did not check the readings of the multimeter, so he does not know for sure. The battery needs to be charged every week, according to the service personnel, but we were told that once a month would be good. It is possible that the battery is dead, and the engine may not have started at all if it was not charged. I think that it is important to keep the battery
My understanding is that auto start stop does or can discharge the battery deeper than otherwise but they have a BMS system that turns off the auto start stop mode if it gets discharged too much. They may also use a slightly larger battery than on comparable cars without auto start stop. Don't think the battery is supported with a super cap, at least not on my car.

Likes russ_watters, Wrichik Basu and mic*
Engineering news on Phys.org
CWatters said:
My understanding is that auto start stop does or can discharge the battery deeper than otherwise but they have a BMS system that turns off the auto start stop mode if it gets discharged too much. They may also use a slightly larger battery than on comparable cars without auto start stop. Don't think the battery is supported with a super cap, at least not on my car.
Larger bttery units seem to be another approach. SC's are rated at >500,000 cycles so they are not considered a servicable part. They will outlast your steering wheel.

@CWatters, I just had a bit of a dig around and I must admit it is hard to find proprietary info on SC use in fuelled vehicles, especially without being used in connection to some form of kinetic energy recovery system. Ie, an SC integrated ONLY for stop-start battery support.

Wrichik Basu said:
We have a Toyota Etios Liva, four years old, petrol variant. ... Our car is not used much. Usually on an average, it is driven for around 14km per month.

Is this number (14km per month) correct? The four-year old car has 670 km (~400 miles)? At the advertised mileage (about 20 km per liter) you have burned around 34 liters (9 gallons, US) in the past four years?

I have had vehicles with low use like this (not cars, but motorcycles and scooters) and I would expect all kinds of problems: gasoline turned to sludge, clogged carburetor, dead battery, flat spots on the tires, mice eating the wiring, etc. If the use is really this low I would advise either drive it more, or sell it and use taxis to get around.

Likes mic*
gmax137 said:
Is this number (14km per month) correct? The four-year old car has 670 km (~400 miles)? At the advertised mileage (about 20 km per liter) you have burned around 34 liters (9 gallons, US) in the past four years
Well, I didn't think of such detailed calculations. The average value was of 2018. In the previous years, it has traveled quite a distance. The odometer reading currently is a little greater than 5000km.