Debbie Reynolds: Beloved Actress and Singin' in the Rain Star Dies at 84

In summary, Debbie Reynolds was an actress who started her career in the 1950s and was known for her roles in films such as "Singin' in the Rain" and "Tammy and the Bachelor." She was also known for her roles as Debbie Reynolds in the TV series "The Debbie Reynolds Show" and as the mother of actress Carrie Fisher. Reynolds died on Wednesday after the death of her daughter, Carrie Fisher.
Jimmy
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/movies/debbie-reynolds-dead.html

Debbie Reynolds, the wholesome ingénue in 1950s films like “Singin’ in the Rain” and “Tammy and the Bachelor,” died Wednesday, a day after the death of her daughter, the actress Carrie Fisher. She was 84.

Physics news on Phys.org
Damn. Turns out she wasn't quite unsinkable after all but I'll still always think of her that way. R.I.P.

Likes 1oldman2
phinds said:
Damn. Turns out she wasn't quite unsinkable after all but I'll still always think of her that way. R.I.P.
I guess the death of a loved family member can cause even the most unsinkable person to sink. Considering it was her daughter, that's just 10 fold worse. No person wants to outlive their children.

And by the way, pointing out that she got her start as a ingenue might be factually correct but it trivializes her out-sized abilities as an entertainer. She was not a great actress but she sure was a great entertainer. And ingenues rarely get Academy Award nonimations for best actress or the kind of life-time achievements awards she received.

Here's some trivia for you...In the early 70's, my dad was the private tutor for Todd Fisher. No joke. I was like 6 or 7 and we were living in Santa Monica, Ca. One of my earliest memories. I remember two things from that--the first was when my dad took me to Todd's house and he pulled out the Pong game. I don't remember it being in a cabinet, I think it may have just been like a video game cast to to a regular TV through an RF modulator, but that was a long time ago. I'm thinking it must have been 73 or 74. I remember not being so impressed. I mean, I was young, I didn't have anything to compare it to.

The other memory, around the same time, was of my mom and dad and me sitting around this big dinner table with Debbie Reynolds, and I'm assuming Todd and Carrie were there but I don't remember. I just remember Debbie, she was larger than life.

So, that's about it. The RUB, though, is that my dad still communicates with Todd Fisher, after all these years. In fact, in the email communications with my dad, Todd Fisher is actually on his "CC" list. No joke. I was tempted to tell him to give Todd my condolences, but I'm a bit estranged from my dad even this late in my life because he's a selfish assh%#$.

So, I haven't talked to him (my dad) directly in about a decade, only occasionally through email, and even that is painful to me.

Now that we're on the topic, I actually think that the first VCR I ever saw was at Todd's house...around the same time mid-70's. He was the definition of the Hollywood "rich kid" and had all the toys before everyone else. I didn't have my own VCR until the early 80's. I think the first video I rented was "Debbie does Dallas." :biggrin:

That's a different Debbie from Debbie Reynolds, btw :wideeyed:

Related to Debbie Reynolds: Beloved Actress and Singin' in the Rain Star Dies at 84

1. Who was Debbie Reynolds?

Debbie Reynolds was a well-known American actress, singer, and dancer. She rose to fame in the 1950s and became known for her roles in iconic films such as "Singin' in the Rain" and "The Unsinkable Molly Brown". She was also a successful recording artist and stage performer.

2. How did Debbie Reynolds die?

Debbie Reynolds passed away on December 28, 2016, at the age of 84. She suffered a stroke, just one day after the death of her daughter, Carrie Fisher. Reynolds had a long history of health issues, including a previous stroke in 2015.

3. What was Debbie Reynolds' most famous role?

Debbie Reynolds is most well-known for her role as Kathy Selden in the 1952 musical film "Singin' in the Rain". She also received critical acclaim for her performance in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown", for which she earned an Academy Award nomination.

4. Did Debbie Reynolds have any other notable accomplishments?

In addition to her successful acting career, Debbie Reynolds was also a talented singer and dancer. She released several albums and performed on stage in numerous musicals, including a Tony-nominated performance in "Irene" in 1973.

5. How did the public react to Debbie Reynolds' death?

The public was deeply saddened by Debbie Reynolds' passing, especially coming so soon after her daughter's death. Many fans and fellow celebrities took to social media to express their condolences and share fond memories of the beloved actress and performer.