Decay analysis of Ra226 with Bi-214

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of determining the activity of Ra-226 in a sample due to noise and scatter in the detector. However, the activity of Bi-214, which is easily spotted in the spectrum, can be used as a calibration to determine the activity of Ra-226. The conversation also mentions the possibility of relating the activity of Bi-214 to the activity of Ra-226 through mathematical equations, but the exact equilibrium between the two may never be reached.
abotiz
Hi,

I have a question regarding the possibilities of analyzing the activity of Ra-226 in a sample from a collected spectrum with HPGe detector, by studying the peaks of Bi-214?

The most common energy peak for Ra-226 is the 186 keV with yield 3.6%, the difficulties of determining the activity is due to the large noise and scatter registred at these low energies/channels in the detector. However, in the same decay chain one can find Bi-214. The gamma with 609keV and yield 46% is easily spotted in the spectrum, and the acitivty can therefore be determined (through a calibration) with good statistics.

I feel that mathematically, it should be possible to relate the activity of Bi-214 to the activity of Ra-226. I know the measuring time of the sample and the half-life of the nuclides in the chain. However, iam not sure how to set up the equation(s). Basically, one Ra-226 nucleus produce one Bi-214 nucleus, however, with a delay, and if I multiply that delay with the activity of Bi-214, iam sure I would get the activity of Ra-226.

Please, any help is much appreciated.

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
If the decay products of Ra-226 do not leave your sample, the concentration of Bi-214 will reach an equilibrium after a few weeks (with nearly one Bi-214 decay per Ra-226 decay), and you can use this decay to estimate the number of Ra-226-decays.
The intermediate Rn-222 could be tricky - radon is a gas, so it could escape your sample.

Likes 1 person
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!
In my education, I learned that if the mother nucleus deacays very slowly and the dotter nuclide decays very fast, then the mother activity = dotter activity. This seems to be the case here, now that you mention it.
Is there a rule of thumb like, if the longest decay time of the dotter nuclides in the chain is like 10 days, one have to wait about 30 days (3 T_1/2)? For example in the fig below, to reach equilibrium with Bi-214 I would wait about 3*3.8 days. If I wanted equilibrium with Bi-210 I would then have to wait 3*22 years? i.e. 3 times the longest decay time until the interested nuclide?

Thank you!

2vijwar.jpg

In my education, I learned that if the mother nucleus deacays very slowly and the dotter nuclide decays very fast, then the mother activity = dotter activity. This seems to be the case here, now that you mention it.
Right (it is daughter, by the way).

In a mathematical analysis, it will never exactly give an equilibrium - just better and better approximations. After 3 half-lifes of Rn-222, the activity is about 7/8 of the equilibrium value. After 4, it is about 15/16 and so on, if the initial sample had pure Ra-226.

1. What is Ra226 and Bi214 and why are they important in decay analysis?

Ra226 and Bi214 are both radioactive isotopes. They are important in decay analysis because they undergo radioactive decay, which allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of these elements.

2. What is the half-life of Ra226 and Bi214?

The half-life of Ra226 is 1600 years, while the half-life of Bi214 is 19.9 minutes. This means that after 1600 years, half of the initial amount of Ra226 will have decayed, and after 19.9 minutes, half of the initial amount of Bi214 will have decayed.

3. How is decay analysis of Ra226 with Bi214 conducted?

Decay analysis of Ra226 with Bi214 involves measuring the rate of decay of these isotopes over a period of time. This can be done using a variety of techniques such as gamma spectroscopy, liquid scintillation counting, or mass spectrometry.

4. What can decay analysis of Ra226 with Bi214 tell us about the sample being studied?

Decay analysis of Ra226 with Bi214 can provide information about the age and composition of the sample. By measuring the ratio of Ra226 to Bi214, scientists can determine the age of the sample. Additionally, the decay products of Ra226 and Bi214 can give insights into the elements present in the sample.

5. What are the potential applications of decay analysis of Ra226 with Bi214?

Decay analysis of Ra226 with Bi214 has various applications in fields such as geology, environmental science, and nuclear medicine. It can be used to date rocks and artifacts, study environmental processes and pollution, and diagnose and treat certain medical conditions.