When Does Alpha Emission Peak in the Decay of Bi-210 to Pb-208?

In summary, the peak of alpha emission occurs when the rate of change of Po-210, dPo(t)/dt, is at its maximum value. This occurs at time t = ln(2L'/LBi(0))/L.
ghetom
Hi I'm trying to do a question on nuclear decay chains. The question is:

Bi-210 decays to Po-210 by beta decay (half life = 7.2 days), and this decays by alpha decay to Pb-208 (half life = 200 decays). If A substance is initially pure Bi-210, when does the alpha emmision peak?

So far I've got
Bi(0)=1, Po(0)=Pb(0)=o

Bi(t) = Bi(0)exp(-Lt)
(L being the decay constant, t_1/2 = ln(2)/L)

and
dPo(t)/dt = LBi(t) -L'Po(t)

so
dPo(t)/dt = L(Bi(0)exp(-Lt)) -L'Po(t)Obviously I just need to find when Po(t) is at a maximum, to find the corresponding maximum in alpha emmision, but I can't solve for Po(t). (I tryed dPo/dt = 0, but i still don't have an answer for Po(t) )can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is as follows:The rate of change of Po-210 can be written as:dPo(t)/dt = LBi(0)exp(-Lt) - L'Po(t) Setting dPo(t)/dt = 0 and solving for Po(t), we get:Po(t) = LBi(0)exp(-Lt)/L'This is the peak value of Po-210. This corresponds to the peak of alpha emission since it is the decay of Po-210 to Pb-208 which produces the alpha emission. Therefore, the peak of alpha emission occurs when Po(t) is at its maximum value, or LBi(0)exp(-Lt)/L'. To find the time at which this occurs, note that t = ln(2)/L. Substituting this into the equation for Po(t) gives:Po(t) = LBi(0)exp(-ln(2)/L)/L'Solving for t gives:t = ln(2L'/LBi(0))/LThis is the time at which the alpha emission peak occurs.

1. What is a decay chain?

A decay chain is a series of radioactive decays that occur in a specific order, starting with a parent isotope and ending with a stable daughter isotope.

2. How does the decay chain of Bi -> Po -> Pb work?

In the decay chain of Bi -> Po -> Pb, the parent isotope Bi-212 decays into the daughter isotope Po-212 through alpha decay. Po-212 then undergoes further decay, eventually resulting in stable Pb-208.

3. What is the half-life of each isotope in the decay chain of Bi -> Po -> Pb?

The half-life of Bi-212 is 60.55 minutes, the half-life of Po-212 is 299 nanoseconds, and the half-life of Pb-208 is stable.

4. How does the decay chain of Bi -> Po -> Pb relate to nuclear medicine?

The decay chain of Bi -> Po -> Pb is an important process in the production of radionuclides used in nuclear medicine. Bi-212 is often used as a precursor for the production of Po-212, which can then be used for targeted alpha therapy.

5. Can the decay chain of Bi -> Po -> Pb be reversed?

No, the decay chain of Bi -> Po -> Pb is a natural and irreversible process. However, scientists can manipulate the decay chain for specific purposes, such as producing radionuclides for medical use.