Decomposition of N2O5 Entropy Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation involves a request for help with a complicated formula, a discussion on a reaction being endothermic and the use of successive substitutions, and a problem involving the calculation of Kp and DGnaught at different temperatures using the Clausius Clapeyron law. The person requesting help also mentions their attempt at solving the problem and asks for verification.
yolo123
Please see attached picture.
I need verification of my answers. I unfortunately found these problems on an old book with no answer. I would really appreciate it.

(a) Ok. For this one, I am really not sure. PLEASE help.
I get a very complicated formula.

(1+x)(x^4)/(1-x)^2=Kp.

Now, this makes no sense because I am not able to solve more than quadratics. This book should represent problems I could see on exams where they do not expect me to do more than quadratics. What do I do?

(b) DG=DGnaught+RTln(Q)
Q=Kp so DG=0.
DGnaught=28058J
DGnaught=DH-TDS.
DS=258mol/K.

(c) Reaction is endothermic. Adding temperature will make reaction go forward more.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 10.57.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 10.57.17 PM.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,212
Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) does not look like it was set up correctly. If x is the final pressure of the NO2, the final pressure of the O2 is 1+x/4, and the final pressure of the final pressure of the N2O5 is 1-x/2. I guess you have to assume that the container is operating at constant volume.

Assume that x is small compared to 1, and see what you get. If you feel that you need to get better accuracy, solve by successive substitutions.

Chet

Chet, I corrected the situation:
I get a final x of 0.0147M. Please check my math.
(1+x)((4x)^4)/(1-2x)^2=Kp

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
I will post another problem on this thread. I do not want to overcrowd the forum with my "pollution."

Here is my attempt: calculate DGnaught using values (final - initial).
Calculate Kp noting that DG=0. So -DGnaught=RTln(Kp).
Use Clausius Clapeyron law to find new Kp at other temperature.

Kp 298K: 5.29x10^34
Kp 345K: 8.61x10^29

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.57.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.57.11 PM.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 950
yolo123 said:
Here is my attempt: calculate DGnaught using values (final - initial).
Calculate Kp noting that DG=0. So -DGnaught=RTln(Kp).
Use Clausius Clapeyron law to find new Kp at other temperature.

Kp 298K: 5.29x10^34
Kp 345K: 8.61x10^29
Your approach is correct. I haven't checked your arithmetic, or your use of units.

Chet

Related to Decomposition of N2O5 Entropy Equilibrium

1. What is the decomposition reaction of N2O5?

The decomposition reaction of N2O5 is:
N2O5 (g) → 2NO2 (g) + 1/2 O2 (g)

2. How does the decomposition of N2O5 relate to entropy?

The decomposition of N2O5 results in an increase in entropy, as there are now three gaseous products compared to one gaseous reactant. This increase in disorder is favored according to the second law of thermodynamics.

3. What is the equilibrium state of the decomposition reaction of N2O5?

The equilibrium state of the decomposition reaction of N2O5 occurs when the rate of the forward reaction (decomposition) is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction (formation of N2O5). At this point, the concentrations of the reactants and products remain constant.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium state of the decomposition of N2O5?

An increase in temperature favors the decomposition reaction, as it is an endothermic reaction. This means that at higher temperatures, the equilibrium will shift towards the products, resulting in a higher yield of NO2 and O2.

5. How can the equilibrium constant be used to predict the direction of the decomposition reaction of N2O5?

The equilibrium constant (K) can be used to predict the direction of the decomposition reaction of N2O5. If K is greater than 1, the equilibrium favors the products and the reaction will proceed towards the right. If K is less than 1, the equilibrium favors the reactants and the reaction will proceed towards the left.