What is the [A2+] at equilibrium?

In summary, concentration at equilibrium is the state in a chemical reaction where the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal, resulting in no further changes in the concentrations of the reactants and products. It is determined by calculating the equilibrium constant (K) for the reaction, which is equal to the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium. Changes in temperature can affect concentration at equilibrium, with an increase favoring the endothermic reaction and a decrease favoring the exothermic reaction. The concentration at equilibrium cannot be changed unless external factors such as temperature, pressure, or the addition/removal of reactants/products are altered. This is in accordance with Le Chatelier's principle, which states that any disturbances to the equilibrium will cause a
brbrett

Homework Statement

Equal Volumes of 3.60 M A2+ and 6.80 M B- are mixed. After the reaction, equilibrium is established with [B-] = 0.40 M.
What is the [A2+] at equilibrium?

Homework Equations

Ice table, algebra

The Attempt at a Solution

This is probably a really easy problem, but I seem to be getting the wrong answer. Probably just a small lapse, but anyways, here's my work.

Equilibrium constant not given.

Ice Table:
A2+ (aq) + 3B- ==><== AB3-
I 3.60 6.80 0
C +x -3x +x
E 3.60 - x 0.40 +x

By subtracting 0.40 from 6.80, I determined 3x to be 6.4.
Using the ratios, I divided 3x by 3 to get 2.13(3 repeating).
Next I subtracted x from 3.60, and got my answer or 1.47.

The answer key says I am wrong, and that [A2+] at equilibrium is 0.80 M.

So am I going about this wrong, or is the book wrong (it has been in the past)?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
brbrett said:
A2+ (aq) + 3B- ==><== AB3-

Shouldn't it be $$A^{2+} + 2B^{-} \rightleftharpoons AB_2$$

$$\begin{array}[c!c!c!c!]
\text{ }& A^{2+} & 2B{-}&AB_2\\
\text{Initial concentration}& 3.60 & 6.80 & 0\\
\hline
\text{Change}& -x&-2x&x\\
\hline
\text{Equilibrium concentration }& 3.6 -x & 6.8 -2x=(0.40) & x\\
\hline
\end{array}$$Anyhow answer in books seems incorrect.

Last edited:
As long as the reaction is not given in the problem statement it can be everything.

It says "equal volumes of...are mixed". So immediately after mixing the initial concentrations are 1.8M and 3.4M. But as Borek says, if they do not specify the reaction there is no unique answer.

The reaction was specified in this case, and it is the one I posted above. This text has a lot of errors, so I'm not too surprised it's wrong this time. Good to double check though.

brbrett said:
The reaction was specified in this case, and it is the one I posted above.

Then the answer given is the correct one. See mjc123 post.

1. What is concentration at equilibrium?

Concentration at equilibrium refers to the state in a chemical reaction where the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal, resulting in no further changes in the concentrations of the reactants and products.

2. How is concentration at equilibrium determined?

The concentration at equilibrium is determined by calculating the equilibrium constant (K) for the reaction, which is equal to the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium.

3. How does temperature affect concentration at equilibrium?

The concentration at equilibrium is affected by changes in temperature. An increase in temperature generally favors the endothermic (heat-absorbing) reaction, while a decrease in temperature favors the exothermic (heat-releasing) reaction.

4. Can concentration at equilibrium be changed?

No, the concentration at equilibrium cannot be changed unless external factors such as temperature, pressure, or the addition/removal of reactants/products are altered. The equilibrium will shift to maintain the constant ratio of products to reactants.

5. How does Le Chatelier's principle relate to concentration at equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, it will shift in the direction that relieves the disturbance. In terms of concentration at equilibrium, this means that any changes in reactant or product concentrations will cause the equilibrium to shift in the opposite direction to maintain the constant ratio.