Decompositoin of f(x) in Legendre polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of Legendre polynomials in expanding certain functions. The coefficients of these polynomials can be found by taking the inner product of the function with the polynomial. The integral is taken over the range of -1 to 1, and the term in front of the integral depends on whether the polynomials are normalized or not. The conversation also addresses the role of the variable [tex]\eta[/tex] in the calculation of the coefficients.
Apteronotus
Hi,

In Wikipedia it's stated that
"...
Legendre polynomials are useful in expanding functions like

[tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + \eta^{2} - 2\eta x}} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \eta^{k} P_{k}(x)[/tex]
..."

Unfortunately, I am failing to see how this can be true. Is there a way of showing this?

I know that Legendre polynomials form an orthonormal set, and so given any function, we should be able to decompose it into a 'linear combination' of these polynomials. But what form does this decomposition take?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If ui is an orthonormal basis for a vector space and v is any vector in that space, then v can be written as [itex]v= \sum a_i u_i[/itex]. Taking the inner product of v with any member of the basis, say uk gives [itex]<u_k, v>= <u_k, \sum a_iu_i>= \sum a_i<u_k, u_i>= a_k[/itex] because <uk, uk>= 1 while <u_k, u_i>=0 for any value of i other than k. That is, you can find the coefficient of Pk by taking the innerproduct (defined as an integral) of the function with Pk. According to Wikipedia (yes, I had to look it up!) the coefficients of the function f(x) for the Legendre polynomials is
[tex]<f, P_k>= \frac{1}{2n+1}\int_0^1 f(x)P_k(x)dx[/tex]

HallsofIvy
Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand now, the reasoning behind the equation.
On a technical note,
1. where does the term [tex] \frac{1}{2n+1}[tex]in front of the integral come from?
2. why do we integrate from 0-1?

and lastly,
3. would the value of [tex]/eta[tex] in our function [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + \eta^{2} - 2\eta x}} [tex] play any role in our calculation of Pn's coefficients?

Ok, so I think I have the answer to my first two questions and for anyone reading this thread, I'm going to try to answer them.
The term [tex]
\frac{1}{2n+1}
[/tex]
in front of the integral comes from the fact that the Lagendre polynomials are only orthogonal and not orthonormal.
By normalizing the polynomials, we can follow HallsofIvy's reasoning.
The integral I believe should be taken from -1 to 1, since the polynomials Pn are orthogonal on -1[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]1.
Having said that, the term that is multiplied by the integral would be [tex]
\frac{2}{2n+1}
[/tex]
rather than [tex]
\frac{1}{2n+1}
[/tex].

What HallsofIvy has done is that he's taken the parity (even/odd) of the functions into account. Since for any function f, the product of f and Pn is even.

I'm still working on 3. Hope this helps.

Actually I think the terms
[tex] \frac{1}{2n+1}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{2}{2n+1}[/tex]
should in fact be
[tex] \frac{2n+1}{1}[/tex]
and
[tex] \frac{2n+1}{2}[/tex]
respectively.

Related to Decompositoin of f(x) in Legendre polynomials

1. What is the decomposition of f(x) in Legendre polynomials?

The decomposition of f(x) in Legendre polynomials refers to the process of expressing a given function f(x) as a linear combination of Legendre polynomials. This allows us to break down a complex function into simpler, more manageable parts.

2. Why is the decomposition of f(x) in Legendre polynomials useful?

This decomposition is useful because it allows us to solve differential equations and evaluate integrals involving the given function f(x). It also provides a more efficient way to approximate the function, making it easier to analyze and understand.

3. How is the decomposition of f(x) in Legendre polynomials calculated?

The decomposition is calculated using the orthogonality property of Legendre polynomials. This property states that when multiplied by another Legendre polynomial, the integral of the product over a specific range is equal to 0, except when the two polynomials are identical. This allows us to solve for the coefficients of the linear combination.

4. What are the benefits of using Legendre polynomials for decomposition?

Legendre polynomials have many desirable properties, such as orthogonality and completeness, which make them well-suited for decomposition. They also have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

5. Are there any limitations to using Legendre polynomials for decomposition?

While Legendre polynomials are a powerful tool for decomposition, they may not always be the best choice for every function. They have certain restrictions, such as being defined only on the interval [-1,1], and may not provide the best approximation for functions that do not meet these criteria.