Writing [itex]x^3[/itex] in Legendre base

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Legendre polynomials as a base for writing the function x^3 as a somatory. The problem is that Legendre polynomials do not form an orthonormal base and the question is whether the integral c_n=\frac{2n+1}{2}\int_{-1}^{-1}P_n(x)x^3\,dx can be used to find the coefficients. The conversation suggests using the first three Legendre polynomials and adjusting the coefficients until x^3 is obtained. The conversation also mentions that the integral method yields the expected coefficients.
Msilva
Hello friends. I need help to write the function [itex]x^3[/itex] as a somatory using the Legendre polinomials as base. Something like:
[itex]f(x)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}c_{n}P_{n}(x)[/itex]

Basically is to find the terms [itex]c_{n}[/itex].
But, the problem is that Legendre polinomials does't form a orthonormal base: [tex]\langle P_{m}|P_{n}\rangle=\delta_{mn}\frac{2}{2n+1}[/tex], and I don't know how exactly to use this information.

May I use [itex]c_n=\frac{2n+1}{2}\int_{-1}^{-1}P_n(x)x^3\,dx[/itex]? Is that right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can do this problem without doing all the integrals. I am writing the first three Legendre polynomials below:

P0 = 1
P1 = x
P2 = (3x2 - 1)/2
P3 = (5x3 - 3x)/2

You want to write:

x3 = a0P0 + a1P1 + a2P2 + a3P3

I took only up to P3 because I have x3 on the left.

Now just look at the Legendre polynomials listed above, and keep adjusting the coefficients a0 .. etc. until you get what you want. For example, since I want x3, and there is a coefficient of 5/2 in front of x3 in P3, I can choose a3 = 2/5, so that a3 P3 yields x3. But this also gives me an extra term in x. So now adjust the coefficient a1 so that a1 P1 cancels out that extra term in x, and you are left with exactly what you want. The rest of the coefficients a0, a2, and then a4, a5... are all zeroes.[/SUB][/SUB]

If you are fond of doing integrals, you can also use the result that you wrote for each cn. It is correct.

Likes Msilva
Actualy [itex]x^3[/itex] is an aleatory function that I wrote here just to ilustrate my question, but you helped me a lot.

With these integrals the coefficients are exactly those expected by your arguments. This is a hint that the logic of the integral is right.

Thank you for your suport, Prayaga.

1. What is the Legendre base?

The Legendre base is a set of polynomials named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre. These polynomials form a complete and orthonormal basis in a given interval, meaning that any function in that interval can be written as a linear combination of these polynomials.

2. Why is it useful to write [itex]x^3[/itex] in Legendre base?

Writing a function in Legendre base can make it easier to perform calculations, as the Legendre polynomials have many useful properties. It can also help in solving differential equations, as the solutions can be expressed in terms of Legendre polynomials.

3. How do you write [itex]x^3[/itex] in Legendre base?

To write [itex]x^3[/itex] in Legendre base, we first need to find the Legendre polynomials up to degree 3. These are [itex]P_0(x) = 1[/itex], [itex]P_1(x) = x[/itex], [itex]P_2(x) = \frac{1}{2}(3x^2-1)[/itex], and [itex]P_3(x) = \frac{1}{2}(5x^3-3x)[/itex]. Then, we express [itex]x^3[/itex] as a linear combination of these polynomials, which gives us [itex]x^3 = \frac{1}{2}(5P_3(x) - 3P_1(x))[/itex].

4. Can any function be written in Legendre base?

In theory, yes. As mentioned earlier, Legendre polynomials form a complete basis, meaning that any function in a given interval can be written as a linear combination of these polynomials. However, the convergence of this series may vary depending on the function and the interval.

5. What other bases can be used to write functions?

There are many other bases that can be used to write functions, such as Fourier series, Chebyshev polynomials, and B-splines. Each of these bases has its own unique properties and applications, and the choice of which one to use depends on the specific problem at hand.