Decorrelate 2 particles initially entangled

In summary, the conversation discusses entanglement in quantum physics and whether it can be decorrelated between two particles. It is noted that entanglement comes in various forms and is often destroyed when an entangled particle interacts with its surroundings. However, it is possible for entanglement to be preserved if the value of the entangled property is not learned or if the interaction does not reveal an underlying value. The process of decoherence is caused by interactions with the environment, but not all interactions cause decoherence. The example of reflecting a photon off a mirror is given, where the entanglement is preserved because the photon does not take on a specific value of polarization. Overall, the conversation highlights the complex and counter-intuitive nature of ent
fab13
Hello,

I am studying the entanglement in quantum physics, especially the Aspect's experience where 2 photons initially correlated keep this correlation through the measure of their polarity. The Wikipedia article is only available in French, but there is an article in English written by Alain Aspect ( https://physics.aps.org/articles/v8/123 ) here that describes the experiments.

I am wondering if there is a way, from an experimental or theoretical point of view, to decorrelate 2 entangled particles ?

Is there any experience which has be performed in this goal to remove the entanglement ?

On another forum, one told me that Entanglement is destroyed by Quantum decoherence ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_decoherence ) and that any interaction with a system that has many degrees of freedom will do it.

If I have well understood, a system of 2 entagled particles can't be never considered as an isolated system, can it ? however, for the moment, we don't know if there is a distance limit for entanglement, beyond which entanglement would have disappeared, is it right ?

If there is a distance limit, then we could consider maybe that Quantum decoherence destroys the entanglement.

thanks for your clarifications

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no one hard and fast rule. Entanglement comes in many forms, in fact it comes in many counter-intuitive forms.

Generally, once an entangled particle (say entangled as to spin) interacts irreversibly with a system on its entangled basis, it will no longer be correlated (entangled) with its former partner. It is often possible to interact with such a particle in such a way that it does not cause decoherence on a particular basis.

@DrChinese

Thanks for your answer. From your said, it seems that answer to my question is not binary. Do you want to say that, "Generally", a entangled system interacts with its surrounding since the system totally isolated is an ideal case. From experimental point of view, I mean concretelly, 2 polarizing entangled photons will interact with vacuum fluctuations and its virtual photons, won't they ?

So, I should ask rather : in which experimental cases the entanglement is preserved , even considering system as not perfectly isolated ?

fab13 said:

Any case in which the value of an entangled property is NOT learned, that would be a scenario where entanglement continues. Without discussing the merits of the existence of virtual particles: virtual particles do NOT collapse entanglement.

You can also transform entangled properties without revealing an underlying value. An example of that would be using a wave plate to rotate photon polarization. Or reflecting a photon off a mirror. These interactions with an external apparatus do not cause decoherence.

@DrChinese

So what process or physical entities causes decoherence : the environment, i.e the surrounding ... ?

You say that, in the case of reflecting a photon off a mirror, the interactions with an external apparatus don't cuase decoherence : so you suppose that system "photon + mirror" is totally isolated ?

Why virtual particles are not interacting with an entanglement system ? for example, diffusion between entantgled particles and virtual ones can't occur ?

Sorry for my bad english, I try to be clear as can as I do.

fab13 said:
So what process or physical entities causes decoherence : the environment, i.e the surrounding ... ?

You say that, in the case of reflecting a photon off a mirror, the interactions with an external apparatus don't cuase decoherence : so you suppose that system "photon + mirror" is totally isolated ?

Why virtual particles are not interacting with an entanglement system ? for example, diffusion between entantgled particles and virtual ones can't occur ?

It doesn't work that way. You need not consider the mirror as isolated, nor consider an entangled particle as not interacting with virtual particles.

The issue is that no information is irreversibly gained - whether you know it or not - about particle on the entangled basis. If it is possible (in principle) to obtain that information from the setup, then entanglement will end. With photon interaction with a mirror, for example, it does not take on a specific value of polarization even though the polarization is reversed. The superposition remains, and thus entanglement continues.

What does it mean to decorrelate 2 particles initially entangled?

Decorrelating 2 particles initially entangled means breaking the connection or correlation between the two particles. When particles are entangled, they share a quantum state and any changes made to one particle will affect the other. Decorrelation means that the particles are no longer connected in this way.

Why is it important to decorrelate particles?

Decorrelating particles is important in quantum computing and communication. By breaking the correlation between entangled particles, we can prevent outside interference or tampering with information being transmitted or stored. It also allows for more accurate and controlled manipulation of particles in quantum systems.

What methods are used to decorrelate particles?

There are various methods used to decorrelate particles, including using external fields, measurement and feedback, and decoherence. Decoherence is the most common method, which involves introducing noise or disturbances to the particles' environment, causing the entanglement to break down.

Can particles be re-entangled after being decorrelated?

Yes, particles can be re-entangled after being decorrelated. This process is known as entanglement distillation. It involves purifying the state of the particles to remove any unwanted correlations and creating a new, stronger entanglement between them.

How does decorrelating particles affect quantum computing?

Decorrelating particles can have both positive and negative effects on quantum computing. On one hand, it can help prevent errors and improve the accuracy of calculations. On the other hand, it can also limit the amount of entanglement that can be used in a quantum system. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the impact of decorrelation on a specific quantum computing task.