Deducing Maclaurin series converges from Leibniz formula

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for showing convergence of the Maclaurin series for f(x) = xe^-x^2. One method involves using the Leibniz formula and finding a formula for the nth term of the series, while another involves using the Mclaurin series expansion for e^-x^2 and multiplying by x. Both methods should result in the same series expansion and allow for testing of convergence.
sr3056
Given f(x) = xe-x2 I can differentiate once and use Leibniz to show that for n greater than 1

f(n) = -2nf(n-2) - 2xf(n-1)

I want to show that the Maclaurin series for f(x) converges for all x.

At x = 0, the above Leibniz formula becomes f(n) = -2nf(n-2)

I know that f(0) = zero so this implies that even terms of Maclaurin series are zero, whilst
f(1)(0) = 1, f(3)(0) = -6*1 = -6, f(5)(0) = -10*-6*1 = 60 and so on.

I assume that to show convergence, I need to find a formula for the nth term of the Maclaurin series, then use the ratio test to show that terms are decreasing. I can see the pattern (the derivative increases by a factor of 2(2n + 1) each time) but am unsure how to express this in a formula. Perhaps using factorials?

Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey sr3056 and welcome to the forums.

One suggestion is to use the Mclaurin series expansion for e^(-x^2) and then multiply all terms by x. So you start by expanding e^(-x) and then replace every x by an x^2, and multiply each term by x.

The above should give you a series expansion which should allow you to do a further test for convergence.

Thanks. Is there no way of proving convergence from the Leibniz formula though?

If you get a series that is the correct definition, then you should be able to do what you said (i.e. the ratio test), so as long as you get the correct series expansion, it will be OK.

Both series expansions should be equal though and testing this will test whether your above approach is the same as the one I discussed above.

To show that the Maclaurin series for f(x) converges for all x, we can use the ratio test. The ratio test states that if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of successive terms of a series is less than 1, then the series converges. In this case, we can express the nth term of the Maclaurin series as:

f(n)(0) = (-1)n (2n)! / (2n + 1)!

Using the ratio test, we have:

|f(n+1)(0) / f(n)(0)| = |(-1)n+1 (2n+2)! / (2n+3)!| * |(2n)! / ((2n + 1)!)|

= |(-1)n+1 (2n+2) / (2n+3)|

= (2n+2) / (2n+3)

As n approaches infinity, this ratio approaches 1, which means that the series converges for all x.

Additionally, we can also use the Maclaurin series representation of f(x) to show that it converges for all x. The Maclaurin series for f(x) is given by:

f(x) = ∑ (-1)n (2n)! / (2n + 1)! * x2n

This series converges for all x because it is a power series with a radius of convergence of infinity, meaning it converges for all values of x. Therefore, we can conclude that the Maclaurin series for f(x) converges for all x.

1. How do you deduce Maclaurin series convergence from Leibniz formula?

The Maclaurin series is a special case of the Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. The Leibniz formula is used to determine the convergence of alternating series. By applying the Leibniz formula to the Maclaurin series, we can determine whether or not it converges.

2. What is the Leibniz formula used for in mathematics?

The Leibniz formula is a mathematical tool used to determine the convergence of alternating series. It states that the sum of an alternating series is equal to the limit of the partial sums, as the number of terms approaches infinity.

3. How does the Leibniz formula help in finding the convergence of Maclaurin series?

The Leibniz formula provides a way to determine the convergence of alternating series, which is a necessary condition for the convergence of Maclaurin series. By applying the formula to the Maclaurin series, we can determine its convergence and whether or not it represents the original function accurately.

4. Can the Leibniz formula be used to determine the convergence of all types of series?

No, the Leibniz formula is specifically used for alternating series, where the terms alternate in sign. It cannot be used to determine the convergence of other types of series, such as geometric or harmonic series.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the convergence of Maclaurin series?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Ratio Test, Root Test, and Integral Test that can be used to determine the convergence of Maclaurin series. These tests may be more efficient in some cases, but the Leibniz formula is specific to alternating series and may be the most appropriate method in certain situations.