Infinite Series of Infinite Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of solving an infinite series where each term is itself another infinite series. It is noted that this can be approached similarly to a double integral, but caution must be taken when re-ordering the summations. The result, known as the Erdős–Borwein constant, is approximately 1.6 and has connections to the heapsort algorithm.
Drakkith
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
How to solve an infinite series where each term is itself an infinite series?
I had a random thought about infinite series the other day while watching a math video. Let's say we have an infinite series where each term in the series is itself another infinite series. How would one go about finding the sum?

For example, let's say we have the series ##a_1+a_2+a_3...## where ##a_n = (\frac{1}{2})^n+(\frac{1}{4})^n+(\frac{1}{8})^n...##
I assume the series converges since each term is the reciprocal powers of two series raised to a power (without the leading 1/1 term, which would make it diverge), which should fall off quite quickly. However it's been a while since I did any math work involving series so I'm a bit unsure. Thoughts? Is solving something like this fundamentally any different from solving a 'plain' series?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sometimes one can reorganize the series by grabbing the first term of each sub series and group them as the first term of a new series.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
For example, let's say we have the series ##a_1+a_2+a_3...## where ##a_n = (\frac{1}{2})^n+(\frac{1}{4})^n+(\frac{1}{8})^n...##
This is a double sum (akin to a double integral) that we may call ##S##. The inner sum is trivial and Mathematica can compute the remaining sum:$$S\equiv\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2^{-mn}=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{2^{m}-1}\right)=1-\frac{\psi_{1/2}^{0}\left(1\right)}{\ln2}$$where ##\psi_{q}^{n}\left(z\right)## is the q-Polygamma Function.

Likes pbuk, jedishrfu and Drakkith
Excellent! I would have never thought about the series being like a double integral! Thanks so much!

Likes hutchphd and jedishrfu
renormalize said:
Mathematica can compute the remaining sum...
But don't leave us in suspense: the result is the Erdős–Borwein constant (approximately 1.6) and, remarkably, is also equal to $$ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sigma_0(n)}{2^n} $$ where ## \sigma_0(n) ## is the number of divisors of ## n ##.

Likes Drakkith, renormalize, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
TL;DR Summary: How to solve an infinite series where each term is itself an infinite series?

Is solving something like this fundamentally any different from solving a 'plain' series?
You only have to be careful in case you re-order the summations, e.g. swapping the sums or replacing one sum with an integral and swapping sum and integration. In such cases, a phenomenon called "mass vanishing at infinity" can occur. For example, consider the telescope sum
$$
\sum_{k=0}^n\underbrace{
\left(\chi_{[k,k+1]}-\chi_{[k+1,k+2]}\right)
}_{=f_k}=\sum_{k=0}^n \left(\chi_{[0,1]}-\chi_{[n+1,n+2]}\right)\stackrel{n\to \infty }{\longrightarrow }\chi_{[0,1]}
$$
then we have
$$
0=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \left(\int_\mathbb{R}f_k(x)\,dx\right)\neq \int_\mathbb{R} \left(\sum_{k=0}^\infty f_k(x)\right)\,dx=1
$$
This isn't a problem in your example. I just wanted to mention that it can be tricky if two infinite sums are involved.

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith and jedishrfu
pbuk said:
But don't leave us in suspense: the result is the Erdős–Borwein constant (approximately 1.6) and, remarkably, is also equal to $$ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sigma_0(n)}{2^n} $$ where ## \sigma_0(n) ## is the number of divisors of ## n ##.
And here is the link to the Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdős–Borwein_constant
I found it interesting that it actually occurs somewhere:
The Erdős–Borwein constant comes up in the average case analysis of the heapsort algorithm, where it controls the constant factor in the running time for converting an unsorted array of items into a heap.

Likes Drakkith, renormalize and jedishrfu
Well, I'm glad I picked an interesting example!

• Haha
Likes pbuk and fresh_42

1. What is an infinite series of infinite series?

An infinite series of infinite series, also known as a double infinite series, is a mathematical concept where a series of numbers is summed up repeatedly, and each term in the series is itself a sum of an infinite series. This results in an infinite number of terms in the series, both horizontally and vertically.

2. How is an infinite series of infinite series different from a regular infinite series?

An infinite series of infinite series is different from a regular infinite series in that it involves an infinite number of terms in both the horizontal and vertical directions. This means that the terms in the series are themselves sums of infinite series, making it a more complex mathematical concept.

3. What is the importance of studying infinite series of infinite series?

Studying infinite series of infinite series is important in mathematics as it helps to understand the behavior and properties of infinite series. It also has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where infinite series are used to model real-world phenomena.

4. How do you determine the convergence of an infinite series of infinite series?

The convergence of an infinite series of infinite series can be determined by using various convergence tests, such as the ratio test, the root test, or the comparison test. These tests help to determine if the series will converge or diverge based on the behavior of the terms in the series.

5. Can an infinite series of infinite series have a finite sum?

Yes, it is possible for an infinite series of infinite series to have a finite sum. This occurs when the series satisfies certain conditions, such as being absolutely convergent. In such cases, the order in which the terms are summed does not affect the final result, and the series can be summed up to a finite value.