Default Fonts in all operating systems

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary: I guess I would use the same font that I am using now.It does not have to be, but the fonts that I have chosen looks good w.r.t the default font.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am writing software, and I want it to be compatible with all operating systems. I have searched some sites, and I have decided to use Bookman, Georgia, and Tahoma. They seem to be default for windows, but I cannot say the same thing for Mac and Linux or other operating systems. What are the safest but also good looking default fonts that I can pick to write the code?

Technology news on Phys.org
In Ubuntu, a popular version of Linux:
LibreOffice Writer (the equivalent of "Word") starts up in "Liberation Serif";
LibreOffice Impress (the equivalent of "PowerPoint") starts up in "Liberation Sans"; and
LibreOffice Calc (the equivalent of Excel) also starts up in "Liberation Sans".

Times New Roman seems to have been accepted virtually everywhere. It is as old as the hills. Many publications may default to other fonts for a variety of reasons, but that is not the same as saying that those fonts are the most universally available.

Likes harborsparrow
Times New Roman is not available in the default installations of Ubuntu or LibreOffice.

I don't believe that Times New Roman is available under the GNU General Public License or any similar "free" license. It and numerous variants have been released with Windows OS's.

• Wow
Likes Arman777 and FactChecker
.Scott said:
Times New Roman is not available in the default installations of Ubuntu or LibreOffice.

I don't believe that Times New Roman is available under the GNU General Public License or any similar "free" license. It and numerous variants have been released with Windows OS's.
I stand corrected. It is the default in my LibreOffice Writer for Windows. I wonder if I downloaded more fonts years ago and have forgotten.

You also need to specify the use. Times and Arial were designed for printing, while Georgia and Verdana were designed for onscreen viewing. We may think the differences are minor, but font designers put a lot of effort into incrementally small improvements.

It is perfectly logical to use the same software to produce printed documents and onscreen viewable documents.

.Scott said:
You can get it in Ubuntu by enabling the multiverse repository and installing the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package. That also makes it available in LibreOffice.

.Scott said:
AFAIK the license even for the Linux install I mentioned above, while it isn't an Open Source license, is pretty permissive as far as documents are concerned. I don't know about applications, though.

FactChecker said:
It is the default in my LibreOffice Writer for Windows. I wonder if I downloaded more fonts years ago and have forgotten.
If you are running Windows, you didn't need to install it. Microsoft owns the rights to use it. LibreOffice will use whatever is available in the OS.

• Informative
Likes FactChecker
Arman777 said:
What are the safest but also good looking default fonts that I can pick to write the code?
Why does your software have to depend on specific fonts?

Likes Vanadium 50
anorlunda said:
It is perfectly logical to use the same software to produce printed documents and onscreen viewable documents.
As an example, HTML pages can use style blocks ( <style>...</style> - often in *.css files ) to specify how the font is selected and within a <style> block, "@media print" can be used to specify alternative fonts (and other style controls) for use when the HTML page is printed.

Likes Arman777
PeterDonis said:
I know from experience that picking a font that is not available can lead to trouble. If the font is not found, the font search may end on Wingdings and lead to surprising results.

Likes Arman777
FactChecker said:
I know from experience that picking a font that is not available can lead to trouble.
Yes, but every OS, AFAIK, gives programs a way to ask what fonts are available, or to say something like "pick the default serif font". That's why I'm wondering what kind of software the OP is writing that requires specific fonts to be chosen.

Likes Arman777 and FactChecker
What I mean by software is actually the GRTC GUI program that I am working on. Its not going to run on web page. But the problem some operating system might not have the fonts that I am talking about (Tahoma, Bookmark, Georgia). I know that I can use Arial or Times new roman etc but I was looking for something more exotic (different looking) fonts but also exist in many systems...This is not an interesting question I know. Its just kind of a curiosty.

PeterDonis said:
It does not have to be, but the fonts that I have chosen looks good w.r.t the default font. If there's not a good loooking font that I can use I am not going to change my code for it. But if there's then I might.

Arman777 said:
It does not have to be but the fonts that I have chosen looks good
Why is the font appearance so important? What kind of software is it?

PeterDonis said:
This is a very good question.

Also, the operating system doesn't know about fonts. That's the job of the display manager, of which there are several, not always with a 1:1 mapping with OS. For example, Linux can use X11 or Wayland, or even both.

But more to the point "compatible with all operating systems" is a much bigger task than picking the right default font. That's maybe 0.1% of the work.

Last edited:
Likes pbuk
Arman777 said:
It does not have to be, but the fonts that I have chosen looks good w.r.t the default font. If there's not a good looking font that I can use I am not going to change my code for it. But if there's then I might.
The normal way to do this is to specify a list of fonts, font families or other font characteristics, then choose the first one in the list that is available.
Using HTML as an example again, you can specify:
Code:
<style>
  .whatever {
    font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
  }
</style>

See: HtML css font selection

Likes Vanadium 50
PeterDonis said:
Why is the font appearance so important? What kind of software is it?
I rarely cite a software engineer for being too anal.

PeterDonis said:
Why is the font appearance so important?
Okay sooo here is the difference between the two fonts.

Without a spesific font

old.png
with Tahoma, Georgia and Bookman
new_metric.png

and the look is important for me.
PeterDonis said:
What kind of software is it?
I am using Windows but I want the program to work in every operating system without problem (IF that's possbile) I am not a real computer geek but it seems that the fonts might cause an error. Ofc anyone can change the source code of the GUI. But that might be too much work for some people.
Vanadium 50 said:
But more to the point "compatible with all operating systems" is a much bigger tasks than picking the right default font. That's maybe 0.1% of the work.
That's true. For now all I can think is the fonts that can cause compatiblity issues..Ofc there might be many more that I cannot know/think right now. But ofc if the code can work on linux or mac that's much better for me.
.Scott said:
The normal way to do this is to specify a list of fonts, font families or other font characteristics, then choose the first one in the list that is available.
Using HTML as an example again, you can specify:
I have tried the font-family thing in the PySimpleGUI but it does not work..

I have noticed that when the font does not exist in the system (the PySimpleGUI automatically picks the default font without giving any error. Thats good at least.

Arman777 said:
I am using Windows but I want the program to work in every operating system without problem (IF that's possbile)
There are ways to do it for at least the three major OS's--some GUI frameworks, such as Qt, support Windows, Linux, and Mac OS--but it's difficult to really get a consistent look for things like fonts.

I would suggest making the fonts user configurable; that way the program could start out with a default font but the user could change it if they don't like the look.

Arman777 said:
Ofc anyone can change the source code of the GUI.
How would they do that?

Is this for programming code that only programmers would see, or for text that would be displayed for an "end user" e.g. on a web page?

Under MacOS, the standard text editor that comes with the system, TextEdit, uses a sans-serif monospace font named Menlo as its default. At least I think it's the default. I don't remember reconfiguring it when I bought a new iMac a year ago, with a MacOS several versions higher than the one I had been using on my ancient Mac Pro.

Among the fonts you mentioned, TextEdit's font selector also offers Georgia and Tahoma, but not Bookman, which I remember using long ago in an earlier version of MacOS. All of these are proportional fonts (not monospace).

As an old-school programmer who "grew up" on card-punch machines, then on ASCII video terminals with a fixed character width, I've always used monospace fonts for programming code, including HTML. Maybe tastes are different now?

Other monospace fonts that I've used under MacOS (and are offered by TextEdit) are Monaco (sans-serif) and Courier (serif).

PeterDonis said:
There are ways to do it for at least the three major OS's--some GUI frameworks, such as Qt, support Windows, Linux, and Mac OS--but it's difficult to really get a consistent look for things like fonts.
PySimpleGUI also work on multiple platforms.

"Hardware and OS Support. PySimpleGUI runs on Windows, Linux and Mac, just like tkinter, Qt, WxPython and Remi do. If you can get the underlying GUI Framework installed / running on your machine then PySimpleGUI will also run there."

PeterDonis said:
I would suggest making the fonts user configurable; that way the program could start out with a default font but the user could change it if they don't like the look.
I guess I can do that.

I am not sure you guys checked my github page but the entire code is written in python and it seems that the fonts also does not cause problem. If the font does not exist in the system the PySimpleGUI picks the default font.

PeterDonis said:
How would they do that?
Its not so hard actually. They need to go GRTC_GUI.py file, search the 'font' keyword and change the font manually. It only takes couple of minutes to change it. But ofc someone who does not know python or does not want to bother with this have to stuck with the default font.

jtbell said:
Is this for programming code that only programmers would see, or for text that would be displayed for an "end user" e.g. on a web page?
Well its a GUI. If you run a GRTC_GUI.py file inside the GRTC Main folder, the PySimpleGUI will create that interface. Its not displayed on a web-page or somewhere else. .py file Runs the GUI itself.

jtbell said:
Under MacOS, the standard text editor that comes with the system, TextEdit, uses a sans-serif monospace font named Menlo as its default. At least I think it's the default. I don't remember reconfiguring it when I bought a new iMac a year ago, with a MacOS several versions higher than the one I had been using on my ancient Mac Pro.

Among the fonts you mentioned, TextEdit's font selector also offers Georgia and Tahoma, but not Bookman, which I remember using long ago in an earlier version of MacOS. All of these are proportional fonts (not monospace).

As an old-school programmer who "grew up" on card-punch machines, then on ASCII video terminals with a fixed character width, I've always used monospace fonts for programming code, including HTML. Maybe tastes are different now?

Other monospace fonts that I've used under MacOS (and are offered by TextEdit) are Monaco (sans-serif) and Courier (serif).
I'll consider that to change the font ... or maybe some settings option to change the font to whatever user likes .. But these possibblities requires more work.

Thats a good looking site. Thanks

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I think everywhere mostly and simply user interface font is Times New Roman,
and use this one because compatibility are more important.

Care of things like you using export files from software and font not supported.

The short answer is to use Microsoft Arial or Microsoft Times New Roman and ask your users to install these from the Microsoft Web Font package that they released (with strings attached) many years ago.
The long answer is that these fonts only include the characters that were included at that time. The difficulty is that programs substitute for missing glyphs by stealing them from whatever fonts happen to be installed on the particular machine. Thus you can write a document that includes a less popular character which does not have a corresponding glyph in the font you are using, the software substitutes for it from another font, then another user opens it on their computer which makes a different substitution. As one tends to accumulate hundreds of different fonts which are installed at different times, the final result becomes a guessing game.
An example: I used a particular unusual character in a drawing and then found months later that it had changed by itself; the reason was that I had installed other fonts in the meantime (probably with some other application) and this contained a more appropriate glyph to substitute.
As to what particular font you should use, this depends on what you want it to do. For plain old boring American English, the fonts referred to above will do fine. For other languages that use a Latin alphabet, Gentium is a good choice and is freely available. I suspect that what you need will be a proportional font with tabular figures, that is it has numeric glyphs that are equally spaced so that columns of numbers in tables line up vertically; this is only useful if your software can handle such characters.
Sorry for the verbose reply but this subject is a minefield. I always save documents as .pdf files with embedded fonts - this is rather the equivalent of giving the reader a printed document but obviously this may not be appropriate in your case.

Likes Arman777
Is there a way for a program to include the font(s) that it uses?

FactChecker said:
Is there a way for a program to include the font(s) that it uses?
Yes, subject to any licensing constraints. The fonts will need to be installed by a platform-specific installer of course, which brings us back to

Vanadium 50 said:
But more to the point "compatible with all operating systems" is a much bigger task than picking the right default font. That's maybe 0.1% of the work.
In summary the OP has got a Python script working in Windows, I would guess in a Jupyter notebook, which generates a rudimentary GUI. This is not the way to develop an end-user application, let alone a cross-platform end-user application.

Last edited:
Likes Arman777, FactChecker and Vanadium 50
pbuk said:
Yes, subject to any licensing constraints.
I was thinking to copy those font from my file and share it on github but as you said it might cause some problems for me, so I did not. In any case I have changed the fonts to Georgia, Verdana and Tahoma. In any case I have tried to type run the code with a font that does not exist on my system and the code still runs with a deafult font.

You can use a font image, just have the fonts as a texture. Png is compatible with all platforms isn't it?

paradisePhysicist said:
You can use a font image, just have the fonts as a texture. Png is compatible with all platforms isn't it?
I am not sure how would that look.

Arman777 said:
I am not sure how would that look.
You can customize it to your needs, you can have it as an array of letters and then just cycle the x and y values up and down, or horizontally, or you can have a bunch of letters in random locations and a premade array of locations.

1. What are default fonts in operating systems?

Default fonts in operating systems are the pre-installed fonts that are used as the default option for displaying text on your computer. These fonts are chosen by the operating system developers and are used for system menus, dialog boxes, and other system text.

2. Why do operating systems have default fonts?

Default fonts are necessary for consistency and compatibility across different devices and platforms. They ensure that text is displayed in a readable and consistent manner, regardless of the device or operating system being used.

3. Can I change the default font in my operating system?

Yes, you can change the default font in your operating system. Most operating systems allow users to customize their font settings and choose from a variety of fonts. However, changing the default font may affect the appearance of certain system text and may not be recommended.

4. Are default fonts the same in all operating systems?

No, default fonts can vary between different operating systems. Each operating system has its own set of default fonts that are chosen by the developers. Some fonts may be similar or have the same name, but they may not be exactly the same in terms of appearance and functionality.

5. Can I add new default fonts to my operating system?

No, you cannot add new default fonts to your operating system. Default fonts are chosen by the developers and are pre-installed on your device. However, you can install new fonts and use them for specific applications or documents, but they will not become the default font for the entire operating system.